• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 and exhaust fighting--8.8 winning...

mecompco

NAXJA Forum User
since my new drive shaft is hitting my muffler (Dynomax) and the rear pipe (also Dynomax) is getting crushed by the axle tube (not much clearance for it, due to off-set diff and shock mount). I think we've sucked the pipe up as much as we can. I'm sure we could stuff a glasspack or somesuch in there, but I really don't want anything louder than the Dynomax. Has anyone come up with a solution to this? Thanks for any ideas!

Bullett style muffler

I've often worried about this when selecting an exhaust system for my jeep, the "massaged" stocker barely clears, a wider muffler would not.

Guess I'll be having a shop set it up.

Well, if you have access to a welder, it's much easier, you can put the hangers where you want, you can put the muffler where you want, you can put the piping where and however long you want! I'm doing mine today.......in 100 degree heat. Yuck. If i have major probs i'll post up hehe. I probably will, it's just the way it goes :).

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up taking it to our local Midas (this particular one really does good work, and they don't mind "custom" jobs) and implementing your suggestions.

We ended up retaining the Dynomax muffler (less than a year old, and I like the mild sound) and:

Moving it forward towards the CAT a bit so it clears the DS/U joints;

Flipping it 180* so the outlet is towards the "frame", and custom bending a tailpipe to mate up with the new outlet location and that clears the reinforcing "web" on the diff and welding on a new hanger.

The tech really did a nice job--the muffler and pipe are sucked right up tight and I don't think there will be any more issues with it hitting the axle or DS.

The bad new is it cost $155.00 out the door, which I don't this is too unreasonable.

goodburbon said:
I have a flowmaster and turndown right in front of the axle. Loud as hell. I do not reccomend on a DD.

I love it on my DD.....this was my solution to your problem.

Justin

mecompco said:
Thanks for the ideas. I ended up taking it to our local Midas (this particular one really does good work, and they don't mind "custom" jobs) and implementing your suggestions.

We ended up retaining the Dynomax muffler (less than a year old, and I like the mild sound) and:

Moving it forward towards the CAT a bit so it clears the DS/U joints;

Flipping it 180* so the outlet is towards the "frame", and custom bending a tailpipe to mate up with the new outlet location and that clears the reinforcing "web" on the diff and welding on a new hanger.

The tech really did a nice job--the muffler and pipe are sucked right up tight and I don't think there will be any more issues with it hitting the axle or DS.

The bad new is it cost $155.00 out the door, which I don't this is too unreasonable.

pics!

Back