• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting Jerry Cans to OEM Roof Rack?

BigG

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to go on a road trip up to Colorado next month and would like to carry some jerry cans along with to stretch out my fueling stops. The problem is I my rig is stock. What would be the best way to mount some cans? Would I be able to strap them to the OEM roof rack without issue? I don't need anything that will take trail abuse, just for the road.

BigG said:
What would be the best way to mount some cans? Would I be able to strap them to the OEM roof rack without issue?

Not directly to the rack - they'll have a tendency to slide off of the rails. Ask me how I know...

But to answer the question: if you can lay them flat between the rails and the roof mounts then ratchet-strap them down, they should stay in place pretty well. Also throw some rubber straps with S-hooks over them to keep them in place laterally. Just be sure to stick an old blanket or similar under them to avoid damaging the roof and being driven nuts by them rattling on it.

Incidentally, what kind of cans are you talking about carrying? I just realised that my experience with this involves NATO cans, which can be carried at pretty much any angle. I don't know how Blitz cans or similar would do laying flat.

I haven't decided on the cans yet. I f I can find and afford metal ones in time I will go with those. Otherwise it will be the typical plastic ones at the local HF or auto parts store.

BigG said:
I haven't decided on the cans yet. I f I can find and afford metal ones in time I will go with those.

Check your local surplus stores for NATO cans - I used to pick them up for $10-$20 depending on condition. Check for rust, obviously, but also the condition of the lid seal and seams. Invest in a Super Siphon for filling, too - it's a lot easier to put the can on the roof, start the flow, and go away than have to stand there juggling the fuel can while it empties.

Otherwise it will be the typical plastic ones at the local HF or auto parts store.

If you can get the ones that don't have that stupid California nozzle, this may be OK. I seem to recall that they don't like being laid flat for long periods of time, though.

Just something to consider about the surplus stuff if you can't see it in person before buying - the one's I've seen in person tended to be rusty inside. Maybe a nice coat of paint on the outside but it's hard to fix the inside from 40+ years of unknown use and storage conditions. If you could inspect in person it might be different but you'd probably be better off getting something locally. Don't forget to motorcycle/atv/jetski dealers in addition to the usual parts stores, they usually sell various types of heavy duty plastic gas containers.

casm said:
Also check Cheaper Than Dirt - they often have the 20-litre standard NATO cans in stock for about half that. I don't know the Danish cans linked above, but if they don't use a standard NATO nozzle, it may be hard to find one that fits them.

CTD doesn't seem to have any right now, and I need these tested and ready for a trip in 3 weeks. As for the nozzle, I will be using the super siphon you mentioned above to empty them instead of muscling them into position and holding them. 5 gallons can get heavy after doing it a few times.

I was torn between getting these and just getting some plastic jugs. I decided since these appear to be in excelent shape, should last a lot longer than plastic jugs, and are 100% returnable if they don't end up working out, they were a hell of a deal.

sjkimmel99 said:
Just something to consider about the surplus stuff if you can't see it in person before buying - the one's I've seen in person tended to be rusty inside. Maybe a nice coat of paint on the outside but it's hard to fix the inside from 40+ years of unknown use and storage conditions. If you could inspect in person it might be different but you'd probably be better off getting something locally. Don't forget to motorcycle/atv/jetski dealers in addition to the usual parts stores, they usually sell various types of heavy duty plastic gas containers.

I am worried about the rust part. The listing states 100% satisfaction and refund if I don't like them. So there really isn't much to lose.

If I were you I wouldn't put them on the factory rack. If you have a receiver hitch you can get one of those receiver hitch carriers at walmart for like $60.00. That is where I recommend carrying them.

x2elite said:
If I were you I wouldn't put them on the factory rack. If you have a receiver hitch you can get one of those receiver hitch carriers at walmart for like $60.00. That is where I recommend carrying them.

Unfortunately I only have a Class II 1.25" hitch at this time. Does WalMart have them in that size, or would I need an adapter? What would be the problem with having them up high? It will only be for highway driving. When I get to CO I will take them down before hitting the trails.

So what would be the problem with mounting jerry cans to the factory roof rack? I've got one vote for doing it and one vote for not but no reason as to why it wouldn't work.

If you are carying the NATO cans, carry them inside.

karstic said:
If you are carying the NATO cans, carry them inside.

The cans I'm getting weren't named NATO in the ad, but they have the same ribbing to the sides so I think they will be the same.

So as long as the seal is good, there should be no problems legal or :flame::flame::flame: to have to worry about with keeping them inside?

The Blitz cans are vented by design, they will dribble if not upright, heck they dribble if I fill mine too much. Somewhere I remember reading about an internal tank you can get that lays flat in the cargo area and you can use one of those fluid transfer things with the squeeze bulb to transfer fuel.

I have already purchased the cans I will most likely be using. They haven't arrived yet, but he picture of them has them looking like a NATO can, I just don't know for sure if the spout is the same.

Come on, anyone have any reasons not to strap them down to the OEM rack? I'd rather know now than 50 miles into New Mexico.

BigG said:
I have already purchased the cans I will most likely be using. They haven't arrived yet, but he picture of them has them looking like a NATO can, I just don't know for sure if the spout is the same.

Come on, anyone have any reasons not to strap them down to the OEM rack? I'd rather know now than 50 miles into New Mexico.

You are going to have to wait to look at them, if they are vented you are going to need to keep them upright. Also consider that if they are going to be in the sun all day the gas will get hot and expand so bear that in mind when filling them up. Fill one up and lay it on it's side in the sun and see what happens after 4 or 5 hours.
Some weeks I carry 5 blitz cans to NJ on sunday nite, on Friday they get filled in NJ to take advantage of the .25-.50 a gallon difference but then twice I have heard that gas in Allentown was a $1 to $1.25 cheaper which saves me even more. Once they are full I stand them up side to side right behind the rear seat and use a ratchet strap to keep them in place. I don't top them off either, 5 gallons only not the 5 1/2 that they can fit.
Aero tanks makes a 33 gallon replacment here http://www.aerotanks.com/veh/jeep.htm
http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/marine-bladder-fuel-tanks-auxiliary-tank-bladders.html

RichP said:
You are going to have to wait to look at them, if they are vented you are going to need to keep them upright. Also consider that if they are going to be in the sun all day the gas will get hot and expand so bear that in mind when filling them up. Fill one up and lay it on it's side in the sun and see what happens after 4 or 5 hours.
Some weeks I carry 5 blitz cans to NJ on sunday nite, on Friday they get filled in NJ to take advantage of the .25-.50 a gallon difference but then twice I have heard that gas in Allentown was a $1 to $1.25 cheaper which saves me even more. Once they are full I stand them up side to side right behind the rear seat and use a ratchet strap to keep them in place. I don't top them off either, 5 gallons only not the 5 1/2 that they can fit.
Aero tanks makes a 33 gallon replacment here http://www.aerotanks.com/veh/jeep.htm
http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/marine-bladder-fuel-tanks-auxiliary-tank-bladders.html

I worked with two guys from Allentown this week, and they said that two local chains were engaged in a price war in town. They were seeing sub-$2.50 prices at times. Rather than the $3.50+ we saw in Fontucky,Rialto,and Bloomington,CA

w_howey said:
I worked with two guys from Allentown this week, and they said that two local chains were engaged in a price war in town. They were seeing sub-$2.50 prices at times. Rather than the $3.50+ we saw in Fontucky,Rialto,and Bloomington,CA
Yea, I filled them up two weeks ago at the Hess on airport road for $2.25, got em home and topped of the TJ's and the wifes Oldsmobile. Will be repeating the process this coming weekend.

Back