• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving to Canada from the US

kndrewa

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Has anyone driven into Canada lately?

I am wondering what is needed right now.

Where can I find the exact details on what is needed to cross the border?

Passport.

They have pushed the deadline back but are expecting you to at least have a receipt saying you have applied for the Passport.

To get into Canada you need a valid identification and a good attitude. They can turn you back for many reasons but as long as you are respectful and not on any most wanted lists you should be okay. No firearms. Animals require a vet check statement and children require birth certs and parent present I've heard of them being allowed across with others but some type of permission seemed to be required.

It's the getting back into the US that can be a problem. If you don't have a passport you need to get going on it.

Metal Thrasher said:
If you don't have a passport you need to get going on it.
x2.

I got turned back from the border not too long ago because I couldn't find my passport and only had my ID. What killed me is that I was driving a demo from work and between the two it was no-go.

And THEN, I had to get back through the U.S. side. They were all really cool and understanding, but it was still a 5 hour process. Bottom line, get a passport.

-----Matt-----

kndrewa said:
I am wondering what is needed right now.

4wd and an unguarded section of border

thanks for the info guys.
i applied for my passport just over 3 months ago.
it is supposedly a 10-12 week turn around, but i have yet to see it.
i am headed to the canadian rockies to do some backpacking next week.

anyhow, time is getting oh so near, and i am still passportless.
so.. ..i wanted to get an idea of the challange that may lie ahead.

-i like the 4wd bit.. haha

i printed a reciept online that should verify my passport has been approved.
apparently it is just in the 'processing' phase...

kndrewa said:
thanks for the info guys.
i applied for my passport just over 3 months ago.
it is supposedly a 10-12 week turn around, but i have yet to see it.
i am headed to the canadian rockies to do some backpacking next week.

You're in Chicago, so you're in luck.

Go here. I can't remember where on that site it's buried, but there's a listing for your local passport office. What you need to do is call the number for passport applications and make an appointment ASAP (believe me, do not laze about on this) to have a temporary passport issued. You will have to go in in person - with the receipt for the passport that's on order - and apply for it. Bring the same ID, etc. you used for the original application.

If they need a reason why, you're being sent out of the country on business and they haven't furnished the passport in time. Simple as that. A temporary passport is good for only one year and is absolutely a full and valid US passport.

Be sure to get an appointment that's early in the day. I've been through this rigamarole before, and the Los Angeles office closes at 2pm. My appointment was at 1pm, they saw me at 1.55, and couldn't issue a passport because the person who could do that had gone home for the day. I ended up flying out of the country at 6pm that day on my Irish passport then dealing with the situation once I was there; funnily enough, the embassy was a lot less bureaucratic about it (24-hour turnaround) than the office here.

Again, I can't stress this enough: get on this now. Passport office appointments are hard to come by at the best of times.

Ely, MN + Boundary waters + a canoe.

Head north!:thumbup::D

RTicUL8 said:
Ely, MN + Boundary waters + a canoe.

Head north!:thumbup::D

wtf are you gonna do when you get there? drive your canoe around on the street? Taking the Jeep is so much better because you have transportation when you make it.

casm said:
You're in Chicago, so you're in luck.

Go here. Again, I can't stress this enough: get on this now. Passport office appointments are hard to come by at the best of times.

thanks for the link, casm.

this is quite helpful - i will see what i can do over the next few days and keep everyone posted.

of course you wont know how things go for a few weeks, as i will be backpacking and so happily far far away from any sort of civilization.

ill snap some shots!

-andy

Back