• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel/tire specifics for my rig

carruz

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching quite a bit on this subject and thought I'd try to narrow down to see if I could get more specific for my rig.

2001 XJ, NP231, auto currently running 31" BFG A/T KOs on stock Ecco wheels, RE 3.5" with Teraflex extended rear shackles, bumpstopped (2" front, 3" rear), RE adj track bar and have had no real issues with drive line vibes but look to go SYE/new drive shaft. Engine upgrades from K/N intake, throttle body spacer to high flow exhaust. Dana 30 front/Chrysler 8.25 rear with 3:55s. DD but very capable offroader not rock crawler.

I don't want to go any taller since I like the handling, appearance and performance/mileage at this height but very curious as to what my next stage could be without breaking the bank...ha!

My next phase of build up would be SYE/drive shaft, rear discs and gearing. That brings me to my more specific question of whether or not to stick with 31's and go with a wider stance black steelie at 15x7" (3.75-4 backspacing) or go with a 15x8" (similar backspacing) and the 32s???

Can I run a 32" setup with a 15x8 wheel on trail and not have to trim at all if I am running extended bumpstops? I don't want trim at this point.

I've had great success with the BFG and was basically looking to see if it's worth jumping to a 32" or keep the 31 and go a little wider with the wheels.

Greatly appreciate the help!

i like 3.75 bs on 15x8 black window d's. im on 3''s and 31's. no extra bumpstoping and i dont rub. stay with the 31's till they wearout then think about 32's, untill then get the wheels. check my post in the readers pic thread. it wasn't too long ago maybe a week ago.

Sounds like it is going to be up to personal preference and local terrain needs. Personally I prefer the tires to not stick out wider than the sheet metal.

For me:
10.5" wide basically fit on stock rims with some potential rubbing on control arms and sway bar links. Wider tires would need less back spacing.

I have 33x10.5's on 3.5" lift, stock rims. They tuck inside the fender on compression. I have no rubbing on the street and the rubbing I get on the trail is on the fender lining and very bottom edges of the flares. Both flex when rubbing, I have no damage yet.

Less backspacing will allow for wider tires, then you going to have to clear the rim of the metal fender.

Look at your rig and your existing clearances. Remember that each inch in tires size is only 1/2" less clearance.

this is what 15x8 w/3.75 window d w/31x10.5 bfg a/t with 3'' of lift. no rub. stock bumpstop. went to tellico fully disco'd still no rub.

l_64e47209d56550be59d9397971d98ba1.jpg

I run 32x11.5x15 on 4.75" backspacing. Even with this backspacing I had to trim the rear and front of the guard to stop it rubbing when flexed and at full lock, the Maxxis Bighorns are a big 32" though. Les backspacing will push the wheels further out and cause them to travel in a larger arc when turned which means the'll be even more likely to rub at the front and rear of the guard. Rubbing under the flar is pretty minimal when bumpstopped with this setup though. Here's a couple of pics.

4wdmonthlyArticle_004.sized.jpg

100_4432.sized.jpg

And here you can see where it rubbed on the bottom of the flare, the pinch seam has been punded back at the bottom here and the lower inner edge of the flare chopped as well as some metal, I haven't had to move the flares at all though.

100_4401.sized.jpg

Cheers
Steve

I have a bit higher lift but maybe this will give you and idea of how much 4" BS on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's will stick out with 32x11.5 BFG AT's

2001XJ-driverangle.jpg

2001XJ-front.jpg

Thanks for the pix and information, the visual really helps!

I think I will go with the 15x8 with 4" backspacing using the 31s I have now until they're spent and upsize to the 32s I'll more than likely have a new drive shaft, SYE and gearing by the time I move to 32s. I have a high clearance front bumper so hopefully that and the bumpstops I have now will eliminate any rubbing or at least leave me with rubbing I can live with, I did put washers in the stops to keep from rubbing the LCAs. I'm mainly looking to not have to trim any sheet metal or move the flares for now and still be able to air down, disco and flex.

Personal usage is anything from Northern Utah trails to Moab but no extreme rock crawling so what I glean from the information is I'll still have a capable trail rig with the look I aiming for. Not looking to go to 33s or 35s and take her any higher than she already sits.

sounds like a good plan. :cheers: show some pics when u can.

Back