• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad fuel pump from ebay

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a fuel pump from ebay in early Feb. After it was installed I had the heat soak symptoms of funny starting. I just found out that my pressure is 70+ lbs from the pump. Would it be better for me to give the dealer an arm and a leg for one, or try my luck on ebay again. I matached up part numbers and everything....:mad: :mad:

Have you tried an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator by chance? Pretty cheap, and if you problem is too much pressure it should do the trick.

70 psi is pretty high--I'd check for a bad regulator or a clogged return hose.

this is why i stopped buying on ebay, the quality sucks, you have no idea what you're getting.

Pumps don't "put out pressure"; they put out specified volume. If there is adequate volume to satisfy the needs of the injectors, the pressure regulator will bypass that which is not needed, and the pressure, for the XJ, will be at ~30 psi on the fuel rail. Too much volume could result in a high pressure reading; however, it's not likely your EBay pump puts out that kind of volume. Again, I'd check your return line and pressure regulator. Of course, you never did state the year/engine of your XJ, so all of my sage advise may be for naught.

xjbubba said:
Pumps don't "put out pressure"; they put out specified volume. If there is adequate volume to satisfy the needs of the injectors, the pressure regulator will bypass that which is not needed, and the pressure, for the XJ, will be at ~30 psi on the fuel rail. Too much volume could result in a high pressure reading; however, it's not likely your EBay pump puts out that kind of volume. Again, I'd check your return line and pressure regulator. Of course, you never did state the year/engine of your XJ, so all of my sage advise may be for naught.

x2

Not familiar with the '99, but I believe your fuel pressure regulator and return system is entirely inside the fuel tank, as a part of the fuel pump assembly.
I still think it's a return line/regulator problem.
I assume you still check pressure on the injector fuel rail? And that's where you measured 70psi? Do you know what the factory pressure spec is for a '99 4.0?

You are exactly right! It is supposed to be 52.4 lbs, to be ideal. It has a tolerance of 54 lbs. This has only happened since installing it, so I'm leaning towards something related to that install.

I have the exact same issue! Mine put out about 90 PSI. I think the regulator they supply does not work.

Mine also came with the wrong plug (it was either male or female and was supposed to be the other).

If you used the same seller, they claim a 1 year warranty. I've since tried to contact the seller (I initially gave positive response), and haven't heard back.

I've decided to keep mine as a spare.

Man, we DID have the exact same experience! I soldered on the connector from my old fuel pump to the new. I should check my ebay log and get his name to see if they are the same guy. :laugh2:

Back