• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with wife's cherokee

suprz

NAXJA Forum User
My wife has a 2004 grand cherokee with a 4.0LTR recently the vehicle will just shut down and the "check gauges" light comes on. It starts right back up and runs afterwards though. it has happened 3 times so far within 2 weeks the last time i was driving it and when i went to start it back up, it started and then just stalled out like it was out of gas. it did that 3 times and when i got it running the idle was low and erratic. i popped the hood and took the fuel pump relay and wiggled it, and i tried to start the engine and it started up and ran fine except for a slight delay in the RPM's coming back down after revving the engine. (almost like the throttle was hanging up, but it isnt) but as for stalling out, it hasnt done it since then.
. I called the local jeep dealer and he said it sounds like it could be a bad PCM. but of course wants it to happen again before he looks at it.

what do you guys think? My wife says it happened when the car was first started and the engine was cold. when i was diriving it, the engine had been running for about 5-8 mins.

Thanks for any help

You need to get a code reader and plug it in when the check gages light comes on. maybe sence it says check gages there is a bad sending unit for temp or oil pressure. PCM = Pulse controll modulator?

1985xjlaredo said:
You need to get a code reader and plug it in when the check gages light comes on. maybe sence it says check gages there is a bad sending unit for temp or oil pressure. PCM = Pulse controll modulator?

where did you come up with "pulse controll modulator"? PCM stands for powertrain control module. the pcm is rarely the problem. as far as a code reader. usually you can turn the key on and off three times and get the code in the odometer. the check engine light needs to be on to have a code set. the check gages light usually comes on after the vehicle has died and the alt is no longer charging. this problem sounds more like a cam or crank sensor problem, or possibly a fuel pump issue.

Autozone will read codes for free...

slider said:
usually you can turn the key on and off three times and get the code in the odometer.
THAT DOSE NOT WORK ON ANY JEEP MADE AFTER 1998.
slider said:
this problem sounds more like a cam or crank sensor problem, or possibly a fuel pump issue.

That would be my best guess, or possably the TPS sensor.

Grand Cherokee, not Cherokee........try NAZJA or whatever. This is an XJ forum. They are not the same vehicle!

As for 2004, the key trick won't work anymore. You'll need to get the codes read with a reader.

Varying success has been reported with "the key trick" on OBD-II vehicles, so it's difficult to make a blanket statement.

The CPS itself rarely experiences intermittent failure - it either works or it don't. However, I've had the wiring for the CPS come loose, melt against the #6 exhaust tube, and intermittently short out - that may be the problem! The "Check Gages" with KOEO (Key On Engine Off) is fairly normal - and should correct itself once the engine gets running again.

I've had similar trouble with RENIX - but RENIX is a bit more flexible, since when the wiring gets off the tube, the ECU will pick up the CPS signal again. Since the engine is still turning, it usually fires right back up.

Back