• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 factory gearing

Strictly.Offroad

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a couple of breif searches but all that seems to come up is a lot of d35 gearing answers.I found a 8.25 for sale and when I spin the pinion the wheels spin 2.75 times or right around there. Is that a factory option? The axle is off of a 92 xj with a 4.0ho and aw4 trans with a np231. Any and all help would be awesome. I'm trying to replace my busted d35. Like many others here are.

based on the vehicle description i'd put money on it having 3.55 gears. not quite sure how you counted the 2.75 turns. but that's not an option.

as i said, most likely 3.55. did you look at the diff cover to see if it had a little tag on the left or right side of the cover with the numbers stamped on it..

OEM 8.25" gearing should agree with OEM Dana 35 gearing - the axle is different, but the rest of the drivetrain is the same (and it's the engine and transmission that determine gearing anyhow...)

Try turning the pinion or the wheel a bit more slowly while you count, and I'd suggest a bright reference mark (I like to use white nail polish - really stands out, and a quick mark can even be made on top of crud. Stands out better than metal crayons or yard chalk, too.)

If you ned to change the dif fluid, take the cover off and look at the numbers on the ring. I believe that there should be a 39 11 stamped on the ring if it has 3.55 gears, 41 11 if it has 3.73's and 41 10 if it has 4.10's. I know that this is a messy way to do it, but at least you will know what ya got.

Back