• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2pc to 1pc axle shaft conversion success/failure rate

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
so i'm having a huge argument with some guys on another forum about converting a vacuum disconnect axle to a one piece axle shaft.

somebody asked about doing it. i told him how i did it on my wifes jeep and other jeeps, posted part#'s and pictures.

others are screaming and swearing that this WILL NOT WORK and that it will leak and what and what not and that he'd be better off getting a non-disconnect front axle and swapping the whole axle.

so now i'm really curious.

how many of you have done the conversion successfully and for how long???

and how many have done it and have had problems with it??? what problems?

on my wifes jeep, the conversion has been on there since Jan 06 with daily driving and offroading and has probably 10,000miles on it. NO LEAKS/NO PROBLEMS.

i've done it three time to three different XJ's. Mine does leak a little now but that because I damaged my seals when changing out the axles (trail breakage), my dad's was installed about a year ago and has zero leaks, and I did Waxj-skiers jeep about a month ago, I haven't heard about any leaks from him either. made my own block of plates out of sheet metal.
Cleatus92
Trevor

I've done it about eight times now.

I don't bother with misc seals anymore. I take a dremel, grind the passenger side behind the carrier out until an OEM seal snugs in there just right, and I roll with it. Takes 15 minutes.

In the past, I have used several different seals. Seems different seals fit different jeeps. Here's the list we used on my first one

seals.jpg

Back