• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Experience on How to Cure Vibes

keener

NAXJA Forum User
OK, here's the background:
I've got a 98 XJ Limited, with the 8.25 and the HP30. I got the local shop to do an RE 4.5 lift with full packs in the back. I also recently got custom adjustable upper and lower control arms with the RE reloction brackets. I run 32 AT's or 33" Truxs with 4.56 gears.
I consistenly had vibes at 60 - 70 mph, no matter what we did ... rebalanced the rear driveshaft, re-balanced all four tires, double checked alignment, installed an SYE with new driveshaft, took the front driveshaft out, yadayadayada.
We put the custom control arms in and it went in for an alignment. The caster angles were about 5.8 degrees. After the drop brackets went in, I took it in for another alignment and the caster angles were down to 3.6 degrees. Without changing anything else, the vibes were gone. There appears to be no other adverse handling issues as a result of the low caster angle. I know that the recommended # from the factory is 6 degrees, isn't it ?

Good luck, and pm me if you have any questions.

cheers.

yup, i did around a 5 inch lift using a RE kit and some spacers and longer shackles(along with a 8.8 and sye) i had some vibes and it wandered lots
adjust toe in to 3/16th and adjusted caster, drives straight and smooth as an arrow now

Back