• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear track bar ?

mr_W

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, how it comes that XJ has no rear track bar, and YJ has it.. Should be same type suspension stuff in rear of both of them ?

Any clue ?

Thanks!

Because the YJ is coil sprung front and rear. XJ's have leafs in back that keep them in the proper place under the vehicle.

01_XJ said:
Because the YJ is coil sprung front and rear. XJ's have leafs in back that keep them in the proper place under the vehicle.
Actually the YJ (87-95?) is leafs front and back.

some xj's have rear anti sway bars. the ones with the upcontry package do not have the rear anti sway bar from what i understand.

YJ is Spring Under, XJ is Spring Over....

Only difference I can think of....not sure how that applies to tracking though.

stewie said:
some xj's have rear anti sway bars. the ones with the upcontry package do not have the rear anti sway bar from what i understand.

Track bar, not sway :)

Friend with YJ ripped out rear track bar on trail, and he said he had his ass wandering all over the road without it. So I told him, hey how could that be, XJ's don't have one.. He was stunned. But I don't know :)

So still looking for clue :)

Maybe the ripping out of the track bar caused some other damage? I also think the xj leafs are wider, maybe this adds side-to-side stability that the narrower sua setup doesn't have? Just guessing at this point.:dunno:

Maybe the track bar just keeps some of the pressure off of the springs when it is really bound up on the trail? What side of the frame does the bar attach to?

I know on the xj the shocks mount one in front of the axle, one behind it. Could this help align the axle, or are the YJ shocks the same?

YJ shocks mount differently than the XJ, I want to say they were both in front of the axle (been a year since I put the lift in the one I sold). If I remember correctly the track bar mounts to the body (frame) on the passenger side and axle on the driver side...been a while, I could be wrong.:dunno:

Back