• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower Motor Issues

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
After being "fixed" in a recent accident, my blower motor on my jeep is now having problems. It didn't before, ran perfectly fine not a problem at all. The Jeep was hit in the front and there is no damage that I know of to the heater motor area. Im not going to pull it to see if there's a problem with it because I dont want to tamper with anything. Anyways, when I first turned out the heat in my jeep out came a crapload of "dust" not sure if something's been sanded, primer, I'm not sure. But since then it's been making a loud humming noise. Im not sure if its pure coincidence that I'm suddenly having problems with it or what seeing as everything was fine before. His work is guaranteed but he refuses to check anything out without someone paying him (I dont blame him). In any case, does anyone know if the vents behind the hood by the windshield go down to the motor area? Or if this is related to his work at all? Thanks in advance.

BBeach said:
His work is guaranteed but he refuses to check anything out without someone paying him (I dont blame him).

So in other words, he stands behind his work...provided somebody pays him more money? This doesn't make much sense to me...

But anyways, back on topic...Can you describe the "humming" noise you say you hear? You say you had a crap load of dust come out when you first used it after the repairs, I would have to wonder if maybe some of that dust made it into the motor where it shouldn't be....

Work is guaranteed as in the insurance company will "warranty" his work for a certain amount of time. The humming noise will get louder with the increase in speed, its a 98 btw. It sounds as if you stuck something in a fan. I'll try to post up a video or something.

it may also be caused by an imbalanced "squirrell cage". That dust you described may have settled on the vanes of the cage, causing the cage to become unbalanced. this will cause a vibration and a humming noise. just another idea.

UltimateG said:
Mine's started doing that a little bit lately, too. Is it fixable?
It is very easily fixable on older XJs if that is truly your problem. Typically though, if it's a loud noise, it's bearings in the motor. You can always just undo the 3 screws that hold it in and check to see if something's made it's way into the squirrel cage. I had a mouse nest's in my 99's that caused it to shake the whole dash it was so unbalanced. BBeach's problem is that his is a 97+ XJ (gathered from profile) so he would have to have his refrigerant recycled to even check the motor out, that's why the newer ones are a bit more of a hassle.

How much are they? mine shorted out, cuz, and blew tons of fuses, now it doesnt work, like it use to.

We foudn the short, but still nothing.
:( I can live with no AC, and No heater, but on trail runs a heater is a must for frozen toes and fingers!

It's really pretty easy to take the blower out, and then you can check its bearings etc., and while you're at it make sure there isn't just something stuck in the blades. For example, if the windshield broke in the accident, there's a good possibility a piece of glass or other junk fell through the cowl vent or through the defrost vent inside, and landed in the way of the motor.

The blower comes out from the engine side of the firewall, and is held in by three screws. You may have to move a few things aside to get at it, but the motor itself should come right out.

The blower motor in my 93 XJ recently started acting up - it wouldn't come on sometimes, and sometimes it would come on after a bit of turning the air on and off. However, today it just stopped working - I couldn't get it to turn on at all. I've checked the 25A fuse, and it's good. Should I pull the blower motor out next and check it over? Does anyone have any ideas on what might cause it? There shouldn't be any obstruction in there that I can think of. Can anyone provide instructions on how to get it out?

Many thanks!

There are 3 bolts on the passenger side of the firewall under the hood. I just knocked mine around a few times with my maglite and it poofed out some crap.

BBeach said:
There are 3 bolts on the passenger side of the firewall under the hood. I just knocked mine around a few times with my maglite and it poofed out some crap.

It looks like it's right under the expansion valve and the windshield wiper fluid tank. Is that right? How would one get to it - do you have to put the car up on a lift?

It figures that this would break a month after I installed a new compressor so I could have working A/C after 4 years of it not working...

Im not sure what year yours is, but my 98 has it on the passenger side, against the firewall. Its a circular black piece of plastic that should have some wires by it and the 3 nuts.

Back