• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple of questions before i install my 3.5 Rubicon Express Lift.

the springs in my kit had new bushings preinstalled. if your xj is a 97+ you're most likely going to need a SYE. my '00 did.

i'd presoak everything with PB blast at least a day or 2 before you start.

the Quadratec product discription says new rear leaf springs w/bushings. RE springs come with bushings installed.

I just installed an RE 3.5" kit. It was complete, I didn't need any other parts.

I did add the RE track bar because I did not want to drill a new hole in the axle trac bar mount. It made install easier, gives adjustment and upgrades as a bonus.

Measure those spring center pins. Mine were too long and bottomed out on the axle tube before the springs were tight to the spring pad. I trimmed the center pin heads down a bit.

It might be a good idea to have a sawzall with a metal blade(not bi-metal)...or 10. a set of easy outs,drill, angle grinder with cut off disks extra bolts,brake fluid,a few cases of beer. I did the RE 4.5",sye,drive shaft,shims,all new bolts,rims,tires in about 7 days with alot of cuttung of old bolts,Pb blasting and a few good beatings with the ol 5 pound hand slege. This was my frist lift too and I did alot by myself, but its always nice to have an extra set of hands. What year is your XJ? good luck, tim

Extended Length Shocks (preferably OME Nitro Chargers - I have that lift with them).

You have the TC Drop and can use it combined with shims but really - you should just shell out the $$ for a Tom Woods SYE and Shaft instead of messing around.

soak all bolts with pen lube that need removing for a week or so, i learned the hard way when a nutsert broke loose inside the frame rail

sometimes, even with the pb the busted weldnut is inevitable,that or a bolt seezed in the bushing.

does it include shocks for that price?... i HATE how vague 4x4 lift kit descriptions are.....

the reason i ask is when we bought this kit for my buddies jeep, it came with re shocks for a comparable price thru another company....

you may need a spare car on retainer... fun stuff happens.... but its worth it

As others have said, shocks?

Don't forget to grind the lip off the bumpstop cup on the front end.

Straighten the front brake lines.

Longer bumpstops (are you putting on bigger tires?)

Double check that you have the correct U-bolts BEFORE you take everything apart.

Start soaking all the nuts and bolts with PB Blaster.

You never give us the year and T/C or rear end, so helping is a little more difficult. My 90 did not need the SYE but I put it on anyway so I'm prepared for more lift. You will need a different set of wheels to go with larger tires. I haven't changed wheels and I get some rubbing at full lock & 31s. You will need new shocks, I went with BDS but others are just as good. If you have a 97 or newer you will need the SYE & driveshaft from someone RE, TW or AA all are excellent. I did mine on a lift with the RE hack n tap kit. Only took a couple of hours. The tap part was the scariest for me.
Good Luck. My lift was easy and my next step is more height when I'm ready to re-gear.

Back