• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Question-Shackle height

Cornfed-87XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am planning on using the T&T long arm kit with 5.5" RE coils in the front, and I am palnning on using 4.5" RE leaf spring in the back. My question is: Should I use 1" or 1.5" boomerang shackles on the rear? I will usually have around 100-150# of gear and tools in the back, more on longer trips, and a full size spare (35") so I was leaning towards the 1.5" shackle to keep it level.

What do you guys think will the 1.5" shackle be a better route?

Check into the TNT Ubolt eliminators. They provide various heights of lift and they are the same price as a good shackle. Also, it provides better flex.

I have looked at the U-bolt eliminators, but I don't think I will be going that route. It looks like you would increase axle wrap. I am going to use T&T's boomerang shackles though, they look beefy.

I keep hearing that about axle wrap and their U-bolt eliminators. I dont see how, since their mounting surface looks like it is bigger than stock...I think they would be just fine. TNT wouldn't engineer something bad like that.

Axle wrap seems like a valid concern with them. The perches look nice and big, but just like with blocks, when the axle is hanging lower it has more leverage on the spring. You give it the gas and the axle will try to drive out from under the spring and tweak it into an S shape. It is, after all, basically just a block welded to the axle (even if it is a well-engineered block).

My view on 'em anyway. I hope I'm wrong, because it seems like a good solution otherwise.

how about teraflex revolver shackles?

lancey3 said:
how about teraflex revolver shackles?
Stay Away!

93_xj said:
Also, it provides better flex.
How do you figure? Longer, boomerang shackles will allow more flex, they let the spring pack move through its full range. The stock shackles are very limited in movement.

As for the original question, those spring packs generally ride higher than the front, so a 1" should be fine.
Of course you could get the 1.5", and add a small spacer up front if needed once everything breaks in.
Keep in mind, the longer the shackle, the more stress it will put on the sheet metal stock mounts. This usually only becomes a problem with shackles that lift like 2" though.

I think I am going to go with the 1" boomerangs. As for the revolver shackles I saw them unload on a friends YJ, and he narrowly avoided a roll that probably would have put him 100-150' into a ravine. I am suprised Tera still makes them.

Back