• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Stopped Working

aznightkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Got in my 95 XJ 2x4 and found out my A/c did not blow cold. I looked at the compressor and it was not clicking on. My first thought was I lost refrigerant, however after hooking up the guages there was no issue. I next looked at the switch on top of the drier, I bypassed it with a hot wire and still found my compressor did not turn on. I then unhooked the cable directly out of the Compressor and found I had no voltage difference from when the A/C was on or off. My question is does anyone know how much voltage I should have going to the compressor, and where I can look at next to fix this issue.

Sounds similar to the problem in my 97 XJ. My A/C all of a sudden just stopped blowing cold. I would check the relay for the compressor clutch.

ClutchRelay.jpg

Fig8.jpg

I used a wire and the car battery in the XJ to perform step 3. Good luck!

I am not a mechanic, but I drove a 2000 YJ at work and the shop mechanics had to get the compressor turning in order to test proper levels. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you just test a static line the reading is inaccurate. I think if you pull the plug from the dryer and jump across the switch it should get the compressor turning and then you can hook up the gages. If that works, add some gas and viola! Good luck. STAY COOL!:repair:

I did jump the switch and the compressor still would not turn. I also pulled the relays and swapped them...still no clutch engagement. Another item is that when I click the A/C on the Idle air turns up the RPM's to prepare to accept the load. One thing I did notice is the electric fan is not turning on. Does this only turn on when it heats up, or is it on a switch to turn on when the A/C is turned on? This might lead me closer to my problem.

Back