• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bi-xenon HID kit. What color temp?

To xenon, or not to xenon?

• 3000k yellow

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • 6000k blue-white

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • stay halogen

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TRSCobra

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a set of Hella E-code H4 conversion headlamps. They come with hella 60/55w bulbs. But I bought them so I could convert to HID lights without blinding oncoming traffic like a DOT housing would do.

There's a few different color temperatures to choose from. Here's the 2 options I've narrowed it down to. I don't want any really blue or purple colors, as the lumens decreases as color temp increases. It's not by any means a show truck.:laugh3:

3000k-yellow, 4000 lumens
6000k-blue-white, 2900 lumens.

Or should I stick with the halogens?

Just looking for opinions, thanks.

Last edited:
I personally don't like the super bright HID lights. I've been blinded on many occasions by someone who didn't have them aimed properlly. The old Halogens would just piss you off the HID make it to where you can't see the road. But as long as you keep them low enough to not blind me go for it. Halogens headlights do suck when your trying to see farther in front of you, escpecially offroad. Then again if this is your problem you could always get a light bar.

The yellowish color will be alot better in crappy weather conditions than the blue white

The Yellow is a lot better not to mention that the cops wont bug you about them.

1985xjlaredo said:
The Yellow is a lot better not to mention that the cops wont bug you about them.

I thought it would be the opposite. You see blue-white HID's everywhere on the road (BMW, Acura, Audi, etc.), but there are VERY few with bright yellow lights.

I'm still torn.:confused1

You can find $6k bi-xenon for $150 on ebay. Cheap junk I know, but what isn't anymore. I put a set of 8k? in my sister's accord 3 years ago, back when the cheapest kits were $350 and had the igniters separate from the ballasts. They still work today! I need bi-xenons so I can keep my high-beams for when I move back to PA.

That seems very strange to me that your lumens would be dropping while color temperature raises. Typicaly it is the exact opposite, the brighter/hotter something gets the higher the color temperature.

Last edited:
The IPF H4 conversions are a lot nicer. But before I used those I was using the DOT approved Hella H4 Conversation with PIAA bulbs which cast a very “bright” blue/purple light, so I can’t say too much about the E spec Hellas.

Currently I am using the IPF lamps and the IPF fat boy bulbs (which cast a true white light) and could not be happier. I am also using the IPF wiring harness which just plugs into the stock H4 connectors and is connected directly to the battery so installation was a snap and if anything fails I still have the old stock wiring. They cast a very precise beam pattern that is visible very far down the road; I actually prefer using the low beam over the high beam, yes they are that good.

I learned the hard way about lighting, well more my wallet than anything else. You want a light that is as white or close to white as possible. Anything that is colored no matter how bright will not help you see anything better. It has to do with how the human eye sees. Much the same way that green and red light won’t interfere with our night vision, but with green, objects have more contrast and depth thus we can see them easier.

Last edited:
Z22Z33 said:
You want a white light because it contains all the colors of the visible light spectrum. Missing anyone or all of these colors will not allow you to see or interpret correctly what you are looking at.http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/EDDOCS/Wavelengths_for_Colors.html
This was part of aircrew training in the Army. Night vision goggles allow you to see because they make a spectrum of light that we normally can't see visible to us. The more frequencies of light reflected back to our eyes, the more we can see. Yellow lights are popular in places where the weather is frequently bad because it does not reflect as much off of moisture in the air causing glare. Wearing "blueblocker" or similar shades increases contrast by filtering out frequencies that tend to glare.

jeeperjohn said:
This was part of aircrew training in the Army. Night vision goggles allow you to see because they make a spectrum of light that we normally can't see visible to us. The more frequencies of light reflected back to our eyes, the more we can see. Yellow lights are popular in places where the weather is frequently bad because it does not reflect as much off of moisture in the air causing glare. Wearing "blueblocker" or similar shades increases contrast by filtering out frequencies that tend to glare.

All I can find about filters for right now. Hope this isn't to much off topic.

http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/FILTERS.pdf

daxjbubba said:
my freind has these in his VW bug

they are awesome and inexpensive.

http://www.vvme.com/product/detail-20022.html

If you have H$ conversions this would work. I will probably do this...
Josh

It says they're bi-xenon, but in the pic of all the bulbs, they have a single xenon h4 or an h4 with a blue halogen high beam. :dunno:

Back