• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission cooler info?

xuv-this

bondo afficianado
ya thats about twice the size of mine, not sure about overcooling though.

That's an AC condenser with air-tight fittings, I don't even know how you'd hook it up as a trans cooler, but I sure wouldn't want all the oil mixed together with the trans oil.

I wouldn't use that. Aw4's are too expensive new, and don't like to be rebuilt. Just go to AA or AZ and get the biggest Hayden that they have, like the one used for a motor home. I think its around $70. Ive got one and even towing a 3500# boat in the recent 95-100 high humidity heat weve had, my B&M temp guage never got over 170. Also I've never had or known of a over-cooling problem if you install the cooler before the radiator hook up and then to the tranny from the radiator. This will put a little heat in the tranny oil on cold winter days.

I've always routed the tranny cooler like this: output line from tranny to input on cooler, output on cooler to input on radiator, output on radiator to return line on trans. I always put the tranny temp sensor on the return line so I know whats going into the tranny and if my cooler is working efficiently.

xjtrailrider said:
I wouldn't use that. Aw4's are too expensive new, and don't like to be rebuilt. Just go to AA or AZ and get the biggest Hayden that they have, like the one used for a motor home. I think its around $70. Ive got one and even towing a 3500# boat in the recent 95-100 high humidity heat weve had, my B&M temp guage never got over 170. Also I've never had or known of a over-cooling problem if you install the cooler before the radiator hook up and then to the tranny from the radiator. This will put a little heat in the tranny oil on cold winter days.

I've always routed the tranny cooler like this: output line from tranny to input on cooler, output on cooler to input on radiator, output on radiator to return line on trans. I always put the tranny temp sensor on the return line so I know whats going into the tranny and if my cooler is working efficiently.

I don't know whether it really matters, but the factory setup is the reverse of this: the flow is through the radiator heat exchanger first, then the auxiliary cooler. I don't know whether there's a thermal or hydraulic argument for this, or whether it's just easier to do the plumbing that way.

hayden actually makes the b&m coolers for them, and i wouldn't call the fluidyne cooler a "mystery item". fluidyne makes some of the most sophisticated aftermarket radiators out there. that fluidyne unit is rated for 26,000 lbs. the b&m you are referring to is rated at 19,000lbs. i have 4.10 gears and 32's, and occasionally i'll pull 3 or 4000 lbs. do you think i would be ok with the b&m unitof that size?

xuv-this said:
i think it goes into the factory exchanger after the aux. cooler so if the fliud is cold or cooled to much, than it can be brought up to temp right before it hits the pan. i'm looking at this fluidyne on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&item=270010396526&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
i think i can make it fit...
that's xjtrailrider's rationale, which makes sense, and I'm not disputing that his way works, but the FSM shows the routing going to the radiator heat exchanger first. I don't know why. Maybe it doesn't matter and they just flipped a coin.

Matthew Currie said:
that's xjtrailrider's rationale, which makes sense, and I'm not disputing that his way works, but the FSM shows the routing going to the radiator heat exchanger first. I don't know why. Maybe it doesn't matter and they just flipped a coin.

ok i think they got heads. LOL

Back