• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt-in Stiffeners?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. Here I go...
I'm looking to put rock sliders on the rig in the next week or three and figure that as long as I'm under there, I may as well add uni-rail stiffeners at the same time. My idea is this:
Take ~16 ft of 2x2x3/16 angle iron (and maybe a 2x3/4x1/8 box section running parallel to and underneath the rails) and clamp it to the uni-rail. Drill through in 8ish spots per side, use 1/2" bolts and wide washers to fasten it all together.
Use slightly longer bolts if needed to get the rock rails bolted into the newly reinforced frame.
Drill skid plate such that it can be bolted to stiffeners instead of self-tapped to frame.

Would this scheme be substantially weaker than welding the angle onto the frame? Anyone forsee any problems?
Before anyone asks the obvious question "why not just weld it?" I'll say this: I know how to weld but can't afford the gear. I don't know anyone with a welder I can use. I don't have the cash to pay somebody to do it. I've got a drill, a sawzall and hand tools (being homeless, the air compressor just isn't happening).

Is this a reasonable project?

Detours sells a slider/frame stiffener combo that is sweet. I would have them onmy rig but I had already welded in my Currie stiffeners. Stiffeners are a good thing for the XJ you will not regret putting them on no matter what brand.

i dont know if its a reasonable project, but if you're going to simply going to use bolts, dont just use wide washers, see if you can't find or make some crush sleeves to use between the sides of the frame rails and bolt through those. otherwise i can forsee distortion of the real uniframe possibly; though im no expert.

CommandoXJ96 said:
see if you can't find or make some crush sleeves to use between the sides of the frame rails and bolt through those..
x2 this is what I was goint to suggest. Some cheap cold rolled tube cut up will work. I would use 6 bolts and sleeves per side. 2 up front, 2 in the middle, and 2 near the leaf mount. You will have to pull the fuel/brake lines back, and take the exhaust off probably.

Next add a set of sliders that mounts to the pinch seam and you will be set.

Pay to have them welded if you can't.

I would suggest using a larger number of smaller bolts to spread the load out over a larger part of the frame. I suggest 1/4" bolts spaced out about 1-1.5" This will give about 70% of the strength of welding.

zachxj01 said:
i got currie stiffners in my garage been there 2 yrs to lazy to put them on u really like em?

Yep! I need another set for the 90' XJ that I tow my boat with, just cant afford them! They definetly make a difference on and off-road.

Back