• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Does This Work

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
Picture 1
PICT2089-1.jpg

I press the lever an this is what happens:

PICT2091-1.jpg

The one closer to my hand does not retreive back. What does it do and what are the symptoms due to its faulty performance. I am currently experiencing bucking at 45-50MPH and at high engine revs. The cable leads to this:

PICT2092-1.jpg

Thanks in advance
Boris

The cable in your picture is working correctly - mine does the same thing. The unit at the bottom picture is the cruise control servo.

Not sure about the "bucking."
Perhaps you should see if the throttle body is clean.

That lever is the throttle. there is a cable going to the cruise control servo and another one going to the accellerator pedal. Move that lever with the engine running and you will see.

the CC servo will pull that cable when it needs to accelerate-- but you want the free play to allow you to accelerate if needed during CC use

--Shorty

I'd replace the fuel filter, add some good injector cleaner, or a professional type cleaner throu the injectors. If it doesn't help check your fuel pressure.

The cable closest to your finger is called the "throttle valve cable" and is used to boost line pressure in your transmission under heavy acceleration, it also aids the computer in dictating shift points. with it disconnected it should have a little resistance, adjustment is made by pushing the button on the housing, slide the inner housing and just barely getting the slack out.

That hole setup looks kind of nasty, I'd pull the throttle body, take it to the work bench and clean it out, then clean up all the shafts and linkages making sure they move freely. I can't remember if there are any bushings involved but I would check. Some bucking can be caused by the throttle position sensor, you could stick a meter on there after unplugging it and manually run the tps back and forth looking for dead spots. I don't know if it's the color or what but it looks like a lab experiment in there.. :D :D :D

RichP said:
That hole setup looks kind of nasty, I'd pull the throttle body, take it to the work bench and clean it out, then clean up all the shafts and linkages making sure they move freely. I can't remember if there are any bushings involved but I would check. Some bucking can be caused by the throttle position sensor, you could stick a meter on there after unplugging it and manually run the tps back and forth looking for dead spots. I don't know if it's the color or what but it looks like a lab experiment in there.. :D :D :D

Looks like a lot of corrosion on the fuel rail and the TB.. that'll happen with new england winters.

If you think the CC servo is causing you problems, disconnect it and test. It won't hurt anything, just don't expect the cruise to worr (if it ever did).

Back