• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing rear driveshaft u-joints

CO_crawler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all! I was replacing my u-joints for the rear drive shaft last night and have a few questions. First off it was for my 98 XJ and it looks like the original u-joints at 112k. It took a good bit of whacking them with the LMT/BFH (lift maintenance tool) to get them out. Once I got them out I started putting the new spicer 5-153x's back in. They look alot different from the originals. Same size though I think got them from tellico4x4.com . I got into trouble as it was really hard to seat both caps without hammering them back in so on of the needle bearings got smashed and I decided to get another u-joint at NAPA for now since the bearings are different lengths in the new ones. I got the front one in but it was a pretty tight fit.

The joint swivels but not real loose, I am worried about this for sure as it wasnt as loose as when I took it out but it isnt binding??

Is the spicer 5-153x the correct part for the rear drive shaft?

Thanks alot for the info I am on the way to napa right now for another joint and will check back in a few. Also grabbing some more grease for that slip-yoke it was almost totally dry and stuck on when I took it off.

CO
98 XJ classic 4.0 Auto 4x4 dana 35 HP 30

Yes, that's the right u-joint and don't forget to grease the u-joints when you install 'em.

Jim

take a punch and hit the cross on all four corners. technically you really only need to hit one or two but you have to find out which one or two you need to hit. after a few good whacks you should be able to free the binding. should move very easily and not be stiff.

Back