• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AGH! diff help!

bigsky89

NAXJA Forum User
trying to install an aussie lock-rite. got the diff cover off and was going to remove the spiders to pop the c-clips and what not. anyways theres supposed to be a countersunk bolt holding the little shaft holding the spider gears, is there supposed to be a bolt head or allan key head on it? can anyone show me pics of how to take this out? ive been told a few times but nothing anyone says matches my diff, its just a d35 but for some reason its not working the way everoyne says it should. in the instructions for the locker install they breeze right past how you get the little shaft out, im thinking the heads been broken off the bolt or something. :flamemad:

ive been screwing with this thing for two days now can someone help?

It might just be a roll pin that you have to punch out rather than a bolt, that's how the D30 fronts are. Worst-case scenario pull the bearing caps, pull the carrier & ring gear out, punch out the pin, install the aussie, and put it all back in.

ez4.jpg

Then you get to take the differential portion of the carrier apart. That means take out the side gears and spider gears. To do this on the D35-c axle, you will need to remove the bolt that retains the carrier shaft with a ¼" 12 point wrench. A socket will not fit in here, we tried... Then, slide the shaft out and rotate the spider gears so that they fall out. Next, you will need to remove the c-clips so that the side gears can be removed. Have a friend push in on the axleshaft from the hub end, and rotate, and the c-clip will drop down into the housing somewhere. Fish it out. You will need it later. Repeat this for the other side, and the side gears will now pull out with no problems.

PS: if i remember correctly, it's a 1/4" 12pt wrench. anything else and you have a HIGH RISK of stripping the head.

scorpio_vette said:
PS: if i remember correctly, it's a 1/4" 12pt wrench. anything else and you have a HIGH RISK of stripping the head.

That matches my recollection. If you have enough wierd socket adapters laying around, you might be able to get a 1/4" 12pt socket on it to get it most of the way in/out, just starting/finishing with the wrench.

I have seen D35s with roll pins and bolts for the pin. Sounds like you have a roll pin.

xj92 said:
It might just be a roll pin that you have to punch out rather than a bolt, that's how the D30 fronts are. Worst-case scenario pull the bearing caps, pull the carrier & ring gear out, punch out the pin, install the aussie, and put it all back in.
You cant pull the carrier until you pull the axles("hint"c-clips)

yeah im sure its got a roll pin, and theres a hole on the other side. so its lookin like this is going to be way more bullsh*t than its worth. damn, i was hoping to get my diff locked up this weekend. i tried taking the bearing caps off but no force known to man (at least nothing i have access to) is going to get those bolts off. there must be 400 ft-lbs holding those things on

My D-35 had a roll pin but no c-clips. Unbolted from the outer bearing and

slid right out with a sharp pull.

for the d30 i had to pull the axle shafts and pull the carrier and remove the ring. Once you do that use a small punch and take out the retaining pin and then use a punch to take out the larger pin. The spiders will fall right out. Theres an install guide on aussies web site

Back