• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toyo M-55 vs. BFG A/T or BFG M/T

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
is anyone running any of those three tires on thier jeeps? im trying to decide on some new tires. they going to go on a 85 xj with a 3 inch lift, so they'll probably just be 30's.

ive heard alot of good about the BFG's, and my dad has some M-55's on his pickup.

i know theyre both good tires, but wich is better for the great northwest's forests?

in the words of Sandra Dee from "Grease"
tell me more.

Get the BFGs in a 31 that should be easy to fit with 3" lift. As for MT/AT I have the ATs and like them but I think you are going to want the MTs though.

how long do they last though? i know im not going to get a lot of life out of an offroad tire v.s a on road tire, but where im located, im lookin at at LEAST a 1.5 hour trip to any place that has more than a couple puddles. how much softer is the m/t than the a/t?

85xj4dr said:
how long do they last though? i know im not going to get a lot of life out of an offroad tire v.s a on road tire, but where im located, im lookin at at LEAST a 1.5 hour trip to any place that has more than a couple puddles. how much softer is the m/t than the a/t?
10-20k miles would not be unreasonable to expect, depending on how one drives.

-----Matt-----

we have the toyo m-55's on our work truck, a F350. it's actually a really good tire. i pull a triple axle ez loader trailer with a 25 foot 10000 pound safe boat on it all the time and have never got stuck at the launches around here. the ramps to get extremely slimy at low tide and sometimes we have to go through sand/pea gravel. i'd be curious to see how these tires would function off road on a jeep also. we paid a good amount for ours, 285/7516's. i think they would be extremely loud on a xj too.

check out the maxxis bighorns. i run them and thay get great tracktion on just about anything. also not very loud onroad either. though i wish thay were louder, i like tires that i can hear.

I'm not familiar with the Toyo M-55's, But I do think Toyo makes high quality tires. I'm running Toyo M/T's and I think they're great. They are very quiet on the road and have a very smooth ride on pavement. I would compare their road manners to an A/T, but they kick butt on the trail. However, I think the smallest tire they come in is a 33". I guess what I'm trying to say is that Toyo makes good tires(also ran a few sets of Proxes Fz1's on sports cars) and if I was looking for a true A/T tire, the Toyo would be at the top of my list.

But if you are planning on taking your Jeep on trails during the Fall, Winter, or Spring, Go for the Mud terrain designed tires. Most of the newer radial designs that are available have decent road manners. If you are planning on staying in the 30"-31" range, I highly recommend the Trxus M/t's. As mentioned before, they work well in the PNW.

My.02
I've had the M55's and BFG MT's, both are great tires..
For mud traction in the soup though the BFG MT's, are my first choice of tire here, with the trxus rubbing real close to the BFG MT. No wrong choices here.
Good luck.

I thought I posted earlier but I don't see it so I will try again.

If you want decent info on this we need to know much more about your interest for the tire. Miles on road, off road, type of wheeling, etc.

Here is the way I rank them.

Best Off Road Daily Driver Tire.
Truxus MT
Very Close second BFG MT or Toyo MT

Best Daily Driver Tire with great off road characteristics
Goodyear MTR

Best Daily Driver Tire that can work very well off road
Toyo AT
Very Close second BFG AT

Just my .02

Michael

Maybe everyone here knows you and how you use your rig, but I don't.

I'm hesitant to tell you anything not knowing how you plan to drive it; daily driver, weekend warrior or is it parked all week and then driven only to the trail head and offroad?

Here are some BFG observations.

I've done both types of driving putting 100k plus miles on mine driving it to work every day and then running trails on the weekend. It now only goes to the tral head and then crashes around the woods before parking it for weekdays.

BFG's are good for >50k miles if cared for. I've put over 60k on 3 sets of MTs. I'm on my 5th set of BFG tires and, being very cheap and liking to hunt down a good deal, have never bought new tires for my Jeep. I've run 3 sets of MTs and now running my 2nd set of ATs. BFGs are a high quality tire and if you can find someone upgrading, you can get good used ones. For me it's been a matter of going up in size every year or so and that has worked for me.

I've run them in 30/9.50, 32/11.50 and 33/12.50 sizes and they generally run a slight amount shorter than advertised.

The MT's are great in the woods of the Northwest but the ATs are just as capable in all but the stickiest and/or deep mud. I generally avoid it anyway.

The ATs win in the snow and the rain.

The MTs are good on rock, the ATs are great.

MTs are noisier on the highway with some transmitted vibration, the ATs are very comfortable and quiet. Both are generally easy to balance and I now use AirSoft BBs and have done that in both tires with real success.

I can't comment on the Toyo other than to say every one I've ever handled was very heavy.

If you look toward resale value due to increasing your lift/tire size combo later, buy a high quality AND high mileage tire. That will at least give you trade in value or the opportunity to sell to some other up and coming Jeeper.

A lot of guys here in the NW swear by the Interco Trxus but I still categorize it as a high wear/lower mileage tire. While they provide all kinds of positive traction, 20,000 miles is not much when you get similar performance from something that will last 3 times as long for similar money.

Last edited:
Great info John. You're Knowledge through experience is a lot more valuable than most on the interwebtubez.

I rode with Hans(Xjourney) a couple weeks ago at NWfest and was very impressed with the BFGoodrich AT tires. I never gave them much credit before, but they handled everything on those dry trails extremely well.

John90XJ said:
I can't comment on the Toyo other than to say every one I've ever handled was very heavy.

I definately agree with the above statement. They are very heavy. Although I have not had any sidewall problems (like some Truxus lately), and they balanced up with very small amount of weight. I believe Toyo has been making commercial truck tires a lot longer than light truck tires, and maybe some of that "heaviness" filtered down from the big tires.

John90XJ said:
A lot of guys here in the NW swear by the Interco Trxus but I still categorize it as a high wear/lower mileage tire. While they provide all kinds of positive traction, 20,000 miles is not much when you get similar performance from something that will last 3 times as long for similar money.

John, I also agree with what you have said, however I do want to make 1 comment about the milage from the Truxus. I know that Han's has had incredible experience with his (I believe he was way over 40K before he started to see any balancing issues, but he could give us details). From my limited experience with both set's of tires I think their milage is probably VERY similar.

A side note: the AT's do great in compact snow and ice, they don't do well in anything that is not already packed.

Michael

"The MT's are great in the woods of the Northwest but the ATs are just as capable in all but the stickiest and/or deep mud. I generally avoid it anyway."

(added point, In rainy conditions on the trail, which are more common for me. It's been BFG MT's, Like you said It matters when and how "he" wants traction..:))

The ATs win in the snow and the rain.
(rain, except when it turns to mud on the trail. usually it's that way. Just another thing to add. Rain on the street..Right on target x3. and snow no matter where it is..)

The MTs are good on rock, the ATs are great.
(With this added note Imho,MTr's are better on the rocks.. which he's not considering and off topic)

MTs are noisier on the highway with some transmitted vibration, the ATs are very comfortable and quiet. Both are generally easy to balance and I now use AirSoft BBs and have done that in both tires with real success.
(Swampers are happier with this balance x3, and last longer)

(True those cases on the M55's are stout and you'll find a lot of loggers in Tillamook use them for flat protection on the gravel roads and they get excellent mileage out of them.)

(Not owning trxus tires but in the past wheelin' other swampers myself, and many others who I wheel with have them, Including my other half (Girlpower 4x4) google it... I would agree x2)

Toyo M-55: Very durable casing. One of the toughtest tires available with decent traction. Not quite as aggressive as the BFG MTs, but more so than the ATs. You'll get a lot of miles out of these as well. Only problem is they're all metric sizes. The closest you can get to a 30" is a LT235/75-15/6. That's close but actually smaller than a 30". I would reccomend running a 31" with that much lift in which case you'd want the 265/75-16 and you'd probably have to get new wheels for those.

BFG: Good traction with the MTs. ATs good if you wheel in fair weather or are more concerened with the daily drive. Both are more prone to punctures than the Toyo.

TrXus: This is my vote. Best traction of the group. Still doesn't hold up to the durability of the Toyo, but no slouch either. Last winter during the ice storm, I drove these tires up and down the snoqualmie valley in 2WD no problem.

Bighorn: I don't know a whole lot about them. We carry them in some of our stores and the sets that I've seen have looked a lot more impressive than they do in the magazines. The majority of the reviews on NAXJA are positive. Wouldn't be a bad idea to try them out. The price is right ;)

-Jeff

Back