• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid plates

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
What is considered essential?

I am trying to get her ready for trail runs. I crawled around under there and things seem pretty well tucked in. A quick search for skid plates showed a few pricey items that seem like they may not be necessary.

Got me thinking rocker protection and driver awareness (avoid high centering) might do it.

I need to reserve some budget for rear bumper/tire carrier still.

So what are the essential skid plates locations and what are you using?

I run the full Mopar skids. It depends on what lift you're using for the front skid. At 3", it works great for me, but at 6" it probably wouldn't do dick. The tc skid is better than nothing, but the highest I run is blues, maybe a black depending on the park. Gas tank is definitely a must, although the "last weekend" ride at Paragon, my hitch took more abuse. I also run Hanson rocker skids, but I haven't bitched em up yet.

That is the ticket, just some stocker type skid plates for a little bit more insurance.

Where do I buy OEM type skid plates.

I just installed a Tomken transfer case skid. The install directions aren't much good but the product is great - very sturdy-feeling and provides full coverage. For 100 bucks shipped I'm quite happy with it, not sure how it ranks durability-wise against others but all that I looked at, Tomken included, were made from 3/16" plate.
Tcase skid is considered essential by many. It is the most vulnerable part of the driveline and one good hit means you walk home - the thing is aluminum cased.
After that, most say rock sliders are #2 , normally tied with gas tank. Mopar gas skid has gotten good reviews. Not as strong as Skid Row but darned close for the money.

yossarian19 said:
...most say rock sliders are #2 , normally tied with gas tank...

Not even close. I've been driving with holes in my rockers for almost five years...

Robert

bl87xj said:
That is the ticket, just some stocker type skid plates for a little bit more insurance.

Where do I buy OEM type skid plates.
If you keep checking on here regularly, you'll see em. Between ebay and naxja, I got front and rear Mopar tow hook kits, and all 3 Mopar skid plates

remember, you can drive with your spare inside the back.

.........you won't go far with your gas tank or transfer case in the back

Check your local recycler / wrecking yard. You would be amazed at how many totally plain, stock Cherokees have factory skids on them. I know of two that are being driven by "little old ladies" that are fully armored. One of the gals even offered to let me have them off hers.

Metal Thrasher said:
Check your local recycler / wrecking yard. You would be amazed at how many totally plain, stock Cherokees have factory skids on them. I know of two that are being driven by "little old ladies" that are fully armored. One of the gals even offered to let me have them off hers.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, but weren't the skids off of the Pioneers or Countrys or something(96-) which were replaced by Limiteds(97+) that didnt have skid plates anymore..?

So my question is, do the 96- OEM skids work with 97+?

I'll add a kinda required skid to the list.. control arm skids :) JKS, 25$

I really wouldn't waste money on the stock stuff if you plan on getting anything bigger in the future. The stock ones are greatr, but you're gonna spend money twice for something better when you smash them up. I'd go balls out the first time and do it right. 1. Gas tank 2. TC/belly pan 3. rockers to include rear 1/4 if you care about them. Don't bother with the front skid, it won't save much.

Alademuerte said:
Correct me if I'm wrong though, but weren't the skids off of the Pioneers or Countrys or something(96-) which were replaced by Limiteds(97+) that didnt have skid plates anymore..?

So my question is, do the 96- OEM skids work with 97+?

I'll add a kinda required skid to the list.. control arm skids :) JKS, 25$
No they don't...

Skids seem to be really common on Laredo XJ's around here. I am pulling a set off tomorrow for $40 for all 3 factory skids.:party:

Back