• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving with trackbar disco'd

EvanH

NAXJA Forum User
The bolt for my track bar snapped and my xj is currently on the side of a road. Is it drivable? I have to drive 10 miles

when you go pick it up, bring a nut and bolt with you, insert into where the broken bolt once resided, tighten, then drive it 10 miles home

have someone slowly move the steering back and forth while you insert the bolt. it will line up because the steering movement will make the axle go side to side because there is nothing keeping it in place

what ktm said is probably the best option.

don't drive it without the trackbar. The links will hold it under the jeep, but the steering will suck, you'll place loads on the unibody mounts that they were not designed to take, and the sideways movement of the axle may hose up the front driveline.

boise49ers said:
Would a rachet strap hold it or get it to align ?
ratchet strap would align it, attach it to the axle, then wrap it around the front bumper mount, that should pull the body enough to line it up.

the steering wheel trick usually works just fine though if you've got 2 people.

At least its just the bolt and not the TB its self that snapped, that makes for a very interesting very slow drive.

grade8bolt.jpg

MongoXJ said:
At least its just the bolt and not the TB its self that snapped, that makes for a very interesting very slow drive.

ha yeah this is not fun at all. has happened to me twice on the highway at 60 due to death wobble. Im sure you can all guess whos trac-bar i have...

Thanks for all the help guys.

I took my father with me and the steering wheel trick worked great. I am gonna use this as an excuse to buy an adj. trackbar and brace.

I am gonna guess Rusty's!

Thanks again.

just making sure he doesn't get a regular machine bolt;)
I've got a grade 8 on my frame side. Should I be worried?:)

ktm racer 419 said:
when you go pick it up, bring a nut and bolt with you, insert into where the broken bolt once resided, tighten, then drive it 10 miles home

I'm running with the easy to come by grade 8 hardware too. Those 10.9 metric bolts are not easy to find for me.

Hopefully we can stear him away from a Rusty Trackbar. I've got one in my garage I wouldn't even give someone. I don't want it on my conscience when it breaks on them as it almost did to me. Get a trackbar you can consider an upgrade such as one of these:
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=271&XnPath=173,180,251&Vid=5877382853051

EvanH said:
The bolt for my track bar snapped and my xj is currently on the side of a road. Is it drivable? I have to drive 10 miles

I had to go about 25miles in the same situation about 3 weeks ago. I broke it exploring some roads on a mountain. so about 15 of those were poorly maintained dirt roads. The fastest speed I saw was 15mph and I was lucky if I got that.

Back