• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting hot at idle/low speeds

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I recently replaced my 3-core radiator with another 3-core radiator after my fan went through it due to bad motor mounts. I replaced the mounts as well. Now my Jeep doesn't seem to cool at idle or low speeds as well as it used to. Once I'm moving its as good as it ever was.

Some of the thermal tabs busted off the fan clutch when it went through the rad. Is it likely that the fan clutch is damaged? Could the fan have bent? Or is this something else that coincidentally showed up now?

yes. a fan and fan clutch can get damaged easier than you think. i would replace both.

my personal opinion. new fan clutch and flex-a-lite fan blade. did that on my wifes jeep when hers went bad (ok i ran it over by accident while doing her water pump), and love it. the temps never move and the fan pulls nice air. you can even hear it (not in a bad way)

yeah, i kinda figured.

thanks.

might be time to swap an electric in.

Hey Scorpio, do you possibly have a link to the flexalite blades you picked up? I'm about to replace my fan clutch and have considered upgrading the fan blades, and if yours worked out well I'm all for giving it a try.

Island, I feel the same way about an electric fan... my fan clutch isn't even 2 years old and is tight as hell when cold and loose and free when up to operating temp, just the way it should be:mad: ...! I was bidding on a taurus fan on ebay and lost in the last few seconds, I figured hey if I could get one cheap it would be worth the time needed to rig it up and wire it in, but at the same time a new clutch is cheap and easy, and really does work well WHEN it's in good shape. So for this time, I'll probably get a new clutch and hopefully a new set of blades. If it fails again anytime soon, it may just be time to switch to electric.

the part number will be different because it was on my wifes TJ. i got the part number off of the flex-a-lite website if i remember right, and then had the local autozone (or maybe advanced auto) order it for me.

if you go to the flex a lite website an look in the automotive section, there is an application guide towards the bottom that you can download. but it's an excel sheet, and i currently don't have excel on my laptop. or just call up your local parts store (preferably one with people that know what they're doing) and have them look it up in their catalog.

Back