• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking, but not broken heater valve

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Morning everyone. I'm getting a small leak from my heater valve, that results in a little puddle of coolant under my Jeep on occasion. The wierd part is it comes and goes, and I've looked at replacing the heater valve, and there is nothing wrong with it! Could the hose be expanding with heat and allowing the leak? I've tightened the hose clamp a couple times, but it keeps comming back.

thanks.

It sounds like it is cracked under the hose clamp area. My old 94 had that problem... I went to a part store and got new hoses, clamps and heater valve. $30 CAD and about half an hour latter I was up and running. Stay away from the stealership, they wanted like $160 for the same part.

Just my 2 cents... and yes it is Canadian

From your sig, I assume you are referring to a 94 model. I believe that model's valve is plastic, and they do crack. The valve is not necessary. You can just run 3/4 or 5/8 hose straight from the water pump and thermo housing to the heater core. The blender door will control the flow of heat into the cab.

Ryno said:
It sounds like it is cracked under the hose clamp area. My old 94 had that problem... I went to a part store and got new hoses, clamps and heater valve. $30 CAD and about half an hour latter I was up and running. Stay away from the stealership, they wanted like $160 for the same part.

Just my 2 cents... and yes it is Canadian

I've taken it apart and checked it , no cracks
I have a replacement one but it seems to be shaped differently than my existing one.

Jess said:
From your sig, I assume you are referring to a 94 model. I believe that model's valve is plastic, and they do crack. The valve is not necessary. You can just run 3/4 or 5/8 hose straight from the water pump and thermo housing to the heater core. The blender door will control the flow of heat into the cab.

I'd rather not have it going into the cab, especially in southern california in the summer

That is why I said the blender door does all the work. 97+ models have no heater control valve, because it is not needed. I have done this of the wife's 94 and everything works as it did before.
There is no harm in replacing the valve, other than the money you spend on it. If that is what you want to do, go ahead. I was just trying to give you a cheaper alternative and remove a problem prone part from your cooling system.

The replacement valve doesn't look like it fits right, some of the parts are facing the wrong way to connect to the hoses properly

what is needed to eliminate the heater valve?

I would ditch it and run straight hose.I dont notice any ill affects inside from heat.Get rid of it....one less thing to strand you.It may also help you run alittle cooler because the coolant is constantly circulating through the heater core.

These heater control valves are like an urban myth....somebody needs to do a before and after temp reading from inside the cab to put this one to bed...

Back