• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Something diferent

badron

NAXJA Forum User
I have a LSD and was thinking a bout rigging independent parking brake cables to each wheel. Using handles much like I see on sand buggies.
I like this idea because it's easer on the drive train then lockers and a lot cheaper. Anyone see anything like it on a XJ and/or any ideas on it..

Pony up the $250 for an Aussie and be done with it. That doesn't sound like it will work too well and you'll give your brakes hell in the process.

Sounds like a poor mans cutting brake. Cutting brakes are used widely in rock crawling now for the ability to be able to turn the vehicle sharply around a given obstacle. Cutting brakes are hydraulic actuaters though.
I take it you are wanting to use it to load a free spinning wheel to help tranfer torque to the driving wheel because of your lsd.
Id say save the hassle & either pony up for a locker - if thats what you need - or just use your foot on the brake pedal to apply load when you need. Hydraulic pressure will be far stronger and easier to modulate then a cable.

If you want that capability, cutting brake handles are $119 and it's not the most difficult thing to plumb in.

DSC01782.JPG

I've been very happy with mine. But also keep in mind that without having front dig capability they won't be very useful.

vetteboy said:
If you want that capability, cutting brake handles are $119 and it's not the most difficult thing to plumb in.

DSC01782.JPG

I've been very happy with mine. But also keep in mind that without having front dig capability they won't be very useful.

Man, I love your rig. It has all the goodies :D

I've been very happy with mine. But also keep in mind that without having front dig capability they won't be very useful
================================
Sweet rig.
The only thing I love more then bigger tires is more levers on a trail rig.
I take it you are locked in the rear and need the front digger ability to unload the locker so the wheels will work independently? If so would not the LSD on my rig make the F digger ability unnecessary? Or am I looking at it the wrong way?

==========================
I take it you are wanting to use it to load a free spinning wheel to help tranfer torque to the driving wheel because of your lsd.
==============================

TRUE
A locker would be the easy way. But never let it be said I took the easy or smart way. On the first try anyway. Besides I love the challenge of making something new or deferent work.

=================================
That doesn't sound like it will work too well and you'll give your brakes hell in the process.
===============================
It WILL not work as well as a locker. But I see a real improvement over what I have now. I should have what I need in the piles of junk I got laying around. What can I say IM CHEAP.
As for the brakes. It can't be any harder on them then 4280 LB of trailer I pull around and I learned to live with that.

THANKS for all the relays.

It should work, thats how alot of landrovers work so well without lockers if I am not mistaken. I can't say it would be worth but I imagine it could get you farter than before.

vetteboy said:

DSC01782.JPG

You need a taller gearshift handle...

vetteboy said:

DSC01782.JPG

I wouldn't think the cables would hold well enough to be very effective but this is a good setup.

Back