• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just removed my whole A/C system

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
So I just picked up a bypass pully from Napa and installed it and said goodbye to my entire A/C system. I was curious to know if this will result in any performance improvements in horse power or fuel economy? Quicker acceleration or overall faster? Don't say you should of left it in or something like that because it is far too late for any second thoughts. One plus is a lot cleaner engine compartment.

In theory, the engine is using less power/energy spining the ac compresser. so you should get better mpg and hp. I still have my nonworking pump on my 99. but my charger for some reason had an ac compresser on the 340, and when I removed that, I felt a big differance power wise, and went from 18mpg highway, to 22 mpg highway. that's a 4000 pound car, and 3.55 gears, no overdrive.

When your ac is off, the pulley freewheels like an idler (unless there's something else wrong with it). The reduced weight may help a bit but I doubt it will make a measurable difference.

i may be the only one to say good riddance!
lets see a pic
im using my a/c compressor for OBA, but i didnt remove EVERYTHING....

I didn't notice any change when I disabled the AC on my 95, though I left the compressor in as an idler simply for simplicity. I did certainly notice an improvement in cooling when I yanked the condenser.

I hope the AC on my 99 keeps working, though. I miss those vent windows.

Back