• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft "Click click click"

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 1988, with 6.5" long arms. My front driveshaft (2nd one now) keeps rapidly developing a clicking sound when under power in 4wd. It gets louder when climbing or accelerating.

My Jeep is an offroad only, and I'd like to use a CV shaft. I'm not spending $300 on a tom woods shaft. I have a local company that will make me a new one for $165. I don't want to have this keep happening over and over agan.

What do most of your guys do for 6.5" of lift with long arms for a FRONT DRIVE SHAFT????? Do you all run the stock shaft?

The length is fine, just this damn clicking keeps happening. Same thing was happening to my OLD XJ that had only 4.5" of lift on it??

I don't have any vibes either. Just a clicking sound....
Anyone help with what is causing this noise? And what do I need to do to remidy this problem and to keep it from happening again?

barillms said:
I don't have any vibes either. Just a clicking sound....
Anyone help with what is causing this noise? And what do I need to do to remidy this problem and to keep it from happening again?

U joints can click when bad.

we are rebuilding the centering ball tonight because we are getting a clicking when under power on a friends jeep. But check u-joints first, much cheaper.

poopy01 said:
U joints can click when bad.
x3 when mne was making noise the U-joints were roasted

Are you running a transfer case drop kit? If you are, it puts the front driveshaft at a more aggressive angle and that could be part of the problem. I'm sure there are wear issues concerning your driveshaft, but the drop could also compound them. Are you running a double cardon shaft or a CV shaft?

KSXJ said:
we are rebuilding the centering ball tonight because we are getting a clicking when under power on a friends jeep. But check u-joints first, much cheaper.
This corrected the issue. The centering ball was bad, so I went to Oreilly's and got a Precision Flange, part number 627. After we broke the first one (oops), we exchanged it, installed the new one, and no more click! If you want to spend more, you can get the Spicer part, which is part number 2-1-1229X, which is carried at NAPA as part number PUJ627. Good luck!

i have the same prob but in 2wd starts out as a squeak then then chatters with speed i thought it was u joints replaced all 3 on the front shaft.it shutup
for a few days but now its back. sigh...so i guess its the ball?(prays to god) when the shaft was off spinning the yoke going into the T-case it was smooth as a babies ass.

Its that damn ball. It rides on this stud and there's a little spring in there too.
It's been awhile since I had one apart, but my first double cardan CV rebuild was unsuccessful.

Anyhoo, since my post... I took my clicking jeep on a trail ride. My driveshaft busted at the bottom of a 100 foot hill and I had to get winched to the top.
I should have replaced the shaft before I went.

I got a new shaft in there, and everything is fine.

If YOUR SHAFT IS CLICKING, it's a matter of time before it breaks.
Get a new one, or rebuild yours.

Back