• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BEST WAY TO SEAL VALUE COVER!!

GreenJeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Mine wont seal all the way. It is driving me nuts and wondering if there are any cool tips out there.:cry: I need to get it done soon I am leaking alot.

What have you done so far? I used a cork gasket from NAPA and some clear silicone I had to seal my fishtank. I have not leaked a drop from the valvecover except a little seepage from the cap area.

GreenJeepXJ said:
tried to make one from that gasket crap but no go.

This has worked for some folks, but not others. More:

And auto zone wanted like 45 for a seal and I just aint got that.:flamemad:

Bad news: you're going to have to bite the bullet and get the seal, which should be lightly RTVed on both sides prior to installation. Inspect the valve cover itself for bends before putting it back on, too - although unlikely, it could be damaged if a previous owner or mechanic forced it off. Also check that all of the valve cover bolts are down tight; they have a tendency to work out over time.

I'll 4th the cork gasket...and yes they are quite pricey....however worth it.

Just as mentioned...I did a cork gasket, light coat of RTV on both sides, and made sure the surfaces were good and clean....and i've not had any problems in about 35K now since I replaced mine.

What year? The cork gasket for my 89 (cast Al cover) was $11 at Napa. Since you used silicon, you're looking at a pain in the butt to get cleaned up when you pull the cover again to do it right.

FlePro Gasket Its like $40.00. If that doesn't seal it up then u need a new cover

1985xjlaredo said:
FlePro Gasket Its like $40.00. If that doesn't seal it up then u need a new cover

My NAPA gasket in cork was only $6.99 plus tax. The part number is SGA VS 60. Just give that part number to your NAPA guy and hand him a ten spot. DONE! RTV is available at NAPA,Lowes, Ace hardware and Home Depot among many others.

The FelPro Gasket is a Rubber and Metal combo. it has rasied edges around the inside and the oput side of the cover lip. it is a much better gasket and can even seal if the cover is warped or off a little bit. And you dont need to put anything on it so no mess when it comes time to pull it again.

Sorry to be late and probably sound like a d. However you need to start by straightening out the valve cover, completely, no bends where slim over torqued the bolts. A block, a ball pien, is(sorry it's funny) and your love will do that. Clean the surfaces, clean! use a good gasket, some Indian head gasket shellac, or the sort, on one side of the gasket, set on valve cover, positioned properly,... wait...then compound on other side, follow instructions. then place on head, torque, politely, don't be slim the heavy wrench, the bolts warp the valve cover, causing your leaks. you can always tighten a bit, however once mashed a gasket probably won't unmash. Love your work, take your time and be gentle. no leak, no look like worm on trail.. Love Patton I've seen Harleys actually not leak...

88xjlover said:
Don't forget to check/clean all the vacuum lines. When they're clogged the pressure can blow out your gasket and blow oil into the air filter can.
X2 on that . Make sure that the small line at the back of the V.C. is not clogged up , if it is it will weep oil out of the oil cap even if the cap is good , and will make the V.C. leak .

Are ther any torque specs for the cover/ Don't want to "Gorilla Wrench" mine and I'm replaceing tomorrow...

Thanks in Advance!!!

Back