• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 front end

90Blue_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know whats involved in putting an 87 quad-headlight grill on a later year (90) front end? I just like the look of the older front grill and quad headlight setup. Nothing wrong with mine but it is just esthetics.

Quad headlight setup was not a pre 90's thing, it was a Wagoneer model. All Cherokees had double headlight setups.

As for putting it on, I'd imagine it'd be a straightforward swap seeing as they share the same unibody. You'd probably have to source a header panel, grill, headlight bezels, headlight bowls and all associated hardware. I could have missed something.

Oh and you'll probably have to splice some wiring to wire up those extra two highbeams?

Last edited:
SuperRA said:
Quad headlight setup was not a pre 90's thing, it was a Wagoneer model. All Cherokees had double headlight setups.

As for putting it on, I'd imagine it'd be a straightforward swap seeing as they share the same unibody. You'd probably have to source a header panel, grill, headlight bezels, headlight bowls and all associated hardware. I could have missed something.

Oh and you'll probably have to splice some wiring to wire up those extra two highbeams?

That is exactly my question is it plug & play or is there splicing involved. So you think it is more than grill, headlight buckets and headlights? I will need the entire header to make the swap?

mikeforte said:
That is exactly my question is it plug & play or is there splicing involved. So you think it is more than grill, headlight buckets and headlights? I will need the entire header to make the swap?

Yea, I think you'll need a header because the headlight buckets rest in the header panel right? So if you now have 4 lamps, you'll need a header that will match. I think... its too dark for me to go outside and check right now. (would normally be easy because I have the bezels and grill off at the moment) And well the wiring, I figured you'd expect that.

You'll need the wiring for the quad head lamps and the bezel. Should be a direct swap after that. Even if its not the header panel is made of fiberglass so drilling and taping it wont be a problem.

1985xjlaredo said:
You'll need the wiring for the quad head lamps and the bezel. Should be a direct swap after that. Even if its not the header panel is made of fiberglass so drilling and taping it wont be a problem.

Thabks will now know what to look for in the JY.

Ok, I checked today and the headlight buckets do rest and pivot in the header panel. It'd be difficult to get 4 buckets to work where there were previously two.

SuperRA said:
Ok, I checked today and the headlight buckets do rest and pivot in the header panel. It'd be difficult to get 4 buckets to work where there were previously two.
OK thanks will have to find the header panel as well to make the switch to a quad headlight setup.

You should grab the whole header panel, with the quad headlights there is no room for the turnsignals up front. The waggy has them mounted in the grill area. If you can grab the wireing loom too. that will be less of a problem and I belive it is plug and play.

good luck finding parts. I had trouble locating parts after I hit a deer with my wagon, but if you can source everthing it is a direct swap, the wiring hareness is plug & play. good luck

Pigpen said:
You should grab the whole header panel, with the quad headlights there is no room for the turnsignals up front. The waggy has them mounted in the grill area. If you can grab the wireing loom too. that will be less of a problem and I belive it is plug and play.
Thanks there is one rough one in a local JY but it isn't a U pull yard so I'm gonna look somewhere else first.

I know this is a old post, but any updates?

I ask cause I just bought a XJ Waggy as a parts rig with a near perfect front end I plan to swap into my XJ..

Sure its a few bolts, and maybe a different harness setup. Pull them both and see what you got.

Back