• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aluminum wheel mod

SteveT

NAXJA Forum User
I was given a set of Ranger wheels, 5x4-1/2, but the hub opening is too small. Any cheap/free way to open them up about an 1/8th? I was thinking something like a cylinder hone (three prong style) to hog 'em out enough to put them on.

Steve

p.s. trying to avoid machine shop hassle/expense

I guess I was thinking that a hone would keep everything balanced. It would remove material evenly...exactly the same amount all the way around. I guess being so close to the center of the axle, out of balance isn't as critical.

Anybody have problems with using die-grinder?

be sure to use an aluminum bit,make your life alot easier

what I did for the same reasons was use a hone than wraped wet dry sand paper around it starting with 80 grit and worked to 160 worked awsesome and had all 4 wheel done in little over an hr

Hey, for free, what have I got to lose ? (plus, ya' know, they're from a Ford, so no great loss if I do hose 'em up).

Thanks,

Steve

Die grinder or a drill with a sanding drum. Just use even pressure and keep moving in a circular pattern. Rotate the wheel 1/4-turn every time you stop to measure the I.D. to help keep things even. I did this with a set of rotors recently and they came out great.

Back