• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting flex from rear springs

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
let me start off with what i have. i have a 2000 cherokee with a rubicon express 4.5 superflex lift, with the 3.5 lift coils and stock shackles installed. i did it this way because it made more sense if i ever wanted to go higher, plus i got more for less then i would have paid if i ordered a 3.5 with all the extras the 4.5 c omes with. ok so i got to thining the other day aboput trying to get my rear to flex a little bit more. im thinking of installing the extended shackles i have from rubicon express, but since i dont want to go higher, can i remove the bottom 2 leaves to make it softer and flex better? or just the bottom "baby one"?? any ideas?

I dunno about taking the springs out, but the shackles should help it flex better. Did you remove the rear swaybar?

yes. the only spring i would remove would be that bottom small one only because i dont want that much more lift in the back.

The biggest thing that helps rear flex with the RE rear springs is to use "boomerang" shackles. Drive around with some weight (200-300 lbs) in the back to help break in the springs. Remove the rear sway bar. Make sure your shocks and brake line are not the limiting factor. Have fun and wheel it.

everything is already broken in. i think i might just go another inch. i just need some spacers up front, put in the shackles i have, and get some shims for the rear axle and thats it. they dont make boomerang shackles stock length, do they?

A boomerang shackle doesnt increase flex,it might even make things worse.They are used to fix where your shackle sits in the pocket due to different length springs.The length of a shackle is what changes the flex,not the shape!

TnT makes a .75" boomerang lift shackle. Try that. And yeah, you can reduce the amount of lift by subtracting leaves. It will be trial and error.

RCP Phx said:
A boomerang shackle doesnt increase flex,it might even make things worse.They are used to fix where your shackle sits in the pocket due to different length springs.The length of a shackle is what changes the flex,not the shape!

nope.
the boomerang shackle acts to change the angle at which the spring pushes on it. with vertical shackles [how a long shackle in the stock location would be] doesn't move much, and doesn't allow for much flex.

on the other hand, a boomerang shackle changes the angle at which the spring acts on it, so that when flexing, the spring pushes OUT -instead of simply trying to move up and down- so that it flattens out.

length only matters if you've moved the shackle location so the shackle isn't vertical.

Travis

edit: also, i have a rustys 4.5" and it sat high and rode [a bit] stiff. so i added a shackle and took out two leaves [it came with six] now it flexes better and rides smoother, and sits just about where i want it.

rocklandxjer said:
nope.
the boomerang shackle acts to change the angle at which the spring pushes on it. with vertical shackles [how a long shackle in the stock location would be] doesn't move much, and doesn't allow for much flex.
on the other hand, a boomerang shackle changes the angle at which the spring acts on it, so that when flexing, the spring pushes OUT -instead of simply trying to move up and down- so that it flattens out.
length only matters if you've moved the shackle location so the shackle isn't vertical.
Travis
I suppose you think that the shape of trackbars and control arms make a difference too?
For any given shackle length,the angle will be the same regardless of the shape of the shackles!

RCP Phx said:
I suppose you think that the shape of trackbars and control arms make a difference too?
For any given shackle length,the angle will be the same regardless of the shape of the shackles!

boomerangs will allow the shackle to rotate farther back before making contact with the unibody brace on the rear of your XJ. this allows more compression on the side stuffing towards the body and therefore cannot hurt the flex on the opposite side of the rear axle (it should in fact improve that flex - one side being forced up forces the opposite side of a live axle downwards.) if it werent for the XJ unibody being so close to the rear shackle hanger dealio the shape of the shackle itself would have no effect. this is of course if you carry a large load or have very flat leaf springs already. really arched springs or longer extended bumpstops that stop travel before the straight or stock shackles would contact the unibody would make the boomerang shackles useless though.

Last edited:
RE 3.5 with 1.5" TNT boomerang shackle. At first it was not like this, this is them "broken in" after a couple months. Maybe you need to keep on breakin them in?? :dunno:

flexin2.jpg

a%3E

Back