• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help bad!!

OkcCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Background first:
I have an 89 Xj all factory parts. Had the jeep looked over because th 4x4 wansnt working and I know the wheel feel off the jeep at one point. The mechanic told us that the front axle is bent and the transfer case was shot. It was going to be $2000 to fix. Obviously, a lot more then I paid for the jeep. However, I dont want to get rid of it.

My question:
Can I just go to a junk yard and pick up another 89 front axle and tansfer case and swap it? Pretty sure it is a factory DANA 30, so I figured there would be a lot of those floating around?

Lastly:
Anyone have an axle and transfer case in good condition just taking up room?

As always,
Thanks for the help!!!!!

-Josh

what transfer case does it have? 231 command trac, part time or the 242 select trac, full time?

if its the 231 it could be the vacuum disconnect on the axle is not working properly. i believe the problem with swapping transfercases is that the spline count needs to be the same so it matches up to the tranny. 91 and up have 23 splines and the 87-90 have 21 spline count.

any front axle from any year xj or MJ will fit, just make sure to match the gear ratio.

As for the T-case. you have to match the splines, some years had different spline count input shafts . There were also a few different Transfer cases available. Pick the one you want, do a little research on wether or not it will work in your particular jeep and get it working!

swapping in a front axle and transfer case will be very easy.

first, you need to find a dana 30 with same same gear ratio that you have. so if you have an automatic, find a dana 30 from another automatic jeep. Automatic jeeps came with 3.55 gearing.

Also, if you can find a newer dana 30 without the vaccum disconnect, you will be much better off. You can tell because on the right side of the axle on the back, there will be a shift fork with vaccum lines coming out of it. Dont get the axle with the vaccum disconnect.

Then you have to find out what transfer case you have. If your shift pattern is 2 HI, 4 HI, N, 4 Lo then you have the NP231 case.

On the side of tranfer cases there will be a round red tag with the case model number on it. Make sure you get the same transfer case.

Everything is bolt on . You will have to remove various suspension components, driveshafts, and crossmember. Just remember to put everything back on the same way you took it off.

My bad.

Jeeps with towing packages sometimes came with 3.73's

There will be a metal tag held on by the diff cover bolts. If its not too rusted, it will say the gear ratio on it.

Jeeps came with whatever ratio the dealer ordered. 4.56's we even available and come up from time to time, so as the man said, check.

Now the question. Why do you say the tcase is shot? What is the symptom?
An axle shaft can be swapped and they are cheap. You can normally score a stock shaft for less than $50 and that is already pulled. Check the for sale forum on here.

So.... The front wheel fell off on the highway at 70mph.... After replacing the studs, rotor, and pads, I took the jeep for a test drive. At 5mph the left front wheel locked up. Everytime I got over 5 mph it would lock up. The mechanic told us that the front axle was bent and the transfer case was bad. What that entails I have no idea. Just curious if this was somthing easy to find, or should I just junk it? I will have to check the gearing and info when I am home..

I have a complete D30 with 3.55 gears out of a 90XJ w/ the vac disco. I would haul it to Joplin, MO for ya for $50. That is basically free and your paying my gas! If your interested in that, I will be coming to the Joplin area the weekend of July 28th and the weekend of August 4th. I also have the transfer case out of that same rig if needed. It is a NP242. If needed, we can discuss pricing on that. PM me and let me know if your interested.

Yeah, I am aware of that. I just thought for basicly free parts a guy might be interested in driving 4 hours...sorry

XJ&TJ4ME said:
Yeah, I am aware of that. I just thought for basicly free parts a guy might be interested in driving 4 hours...sorry

Don't be that is an awsome deal, I will be out of town those weekends... I need to also check with the wife and see what she wants to do...

I will PM you if things change. I appreciate your awsome offer!!!!!! :thumbup:

Back