• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Damage..

PosiDave

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Cherokee. We went out wheeling this morning and I slid into a sand pit covering both my front and rear diff's and drive shafts and control arms. we pulled it out and it drove through the woods fine and is fine until i get to about 45. I checked all of the bushing, cv joints, tie rod ends, control arms, and the steering gear box has no play. I am all out of idea aside from drive it to a shop and have someone else that knowns more about steering look into it. I am jsut checking to see if anyone could help me out with anymore ideas.

From your description all we can tell is that you have a problem with your steering....whats happening?

WHAT happens at 45MPH?

Does it no longer track straight?

Are you now experiencing shakes and wobbles?

Is the steering wheel straight?

I would say bring it in for an allighnment and possibly reballance the tars....

CW

Sounds like time for alignment. It doesn't take much to put the toe out of adjustment, and you can't always see it. If you really buried it, it might well have bent a tie rod just enough to put it out. Before you get too far, not to belabor the obvious, make sure that there is not sand or mud or crud packed into the wheel putting it off balance. Especially if you have the steel "mudcatcher" Sport wheels.

I ended up pullin the front tires and cleaning the fornt end about 5 times. It is now alot better. There was gravel stuck in everything so clenaing it the first 3 tiems didnt work to good.

Back