• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running an OE width (I.E.60.5) front D60?

xj4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to spec out a front D60 preferring to stay stock width to make it easier to pass state inspection.

I'm getting conflicting answers? The big axle companies (Dynatrack, Currie, etc) say 63 is the narrowest I can go in the front due to the front spring perch width. Independent builders have told me this isn't a problem.

I'm guessing the issue is the wider diff consumes tube space available on a stock front axle?

Anyway, is anyone running a 60.5 width front D60? If so how did you get it to fit (E.G. coilovers, leaf conversion, etc)?

Thanks
Kent :D

xj4fun said:
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to spec out a front D60 preferring to stay stock width to make it easier to pass state inspection.

I'm getting conflicting answers? The big axle companies (Dynatrack, Currie, etc) say 63 is the narrowest I can go in the front due to the front spring perch width. Independent builders have told me this isn't a problem.

I'm guessing the issue is the wider diff consumes tube space available on a stock front axle?

Anyway, is anyone running a 60.5 width front D60? If so how did you get it to fit (E.G. coilovers, leaf conversion, etc)?

Thanks

in order to do it youre probably going to need to run coilovers, you can shorten the axle enough, and get it to mount, but youll have to shorten the drivers side to keep the driveshaft cenetered, and then the coil wont fit

My axles are out of a 78 bronco, they are both about 65" wide, and work great.

Thanks guys.. I gave up going stock width. While that would have helped the issue of inspection, it created so many other issues it wasn't worth it. I'm going 63.

Thanks for your help,

BRIANHO13 said:
My axles are out of a 78 bronco, they are both about 65" wide, and work great.

78 Bronco's didn't have D-60's at either end. Got relevance?

Do you have the same inspection issues that this guy has? A stock Ford 60 is 69 inches wide.

Full width truck axles are much, much simpler to set up than 60-61 inch wide units. There is an expansive amount of room to mount junk to. Going OEM XJ width with a 60 is very difficult with a stockish coil arrangement. Coilovers make things a lot simpler.

Back