• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacement manifold or headers?

whatevah

It's Yellah!
I've beat up the stock manifold on my 2001 XJ a little too much (ok, a lot too much) by landing on the crossover pipe while playing on the rocks...

so, I need new stuff. any reason not to get headers? since I've got a 2001, the APN headers are out (I think so?) so Banks/Borla are the only option. now, price is always an issue, but if headers are that much better than a replacement manifold (looking at the Crown Automotive ones that Qtec,JCWhitney and 4wd sell), then I'll do that. for the prices I'm seeing, it'll only be $80 or $90 more to get the Banks TorqueTube headers.

of course, if the APN headers will work (I don't think they do) on my 2001, then I'll jump on those! :)

I have exactly the same question as far as fitment is concerned, but I can certainly tell you that a quality header will most definitely improve hp/tq over the stock iron cast manifold. The gains will happen near the top end of the torque curve reducing the "flattening" feeling you get when accelerating.

While the 2001 is better than some of the older cast manifolds it still won't flow as much air (reduce back pressure) as a tubular manifold. Additionally if you want to go crazy you can run a true dual exhaust system from the split style header on the newest of the XJs.

Like I said before though, I have the same questions about fitment.

an update... I cracked the manifold more a couple weeks ago, running more black trails on my little 31" tires. gonna order the Banks headers and a skid row engine/tranny skid to keep the new headers safe. also need to find a new crosspipe, I've kinda destroyed that one, too.

the APN headers will not work because of the extra sensors they added in 2000. maybe some other fitment issues too, but that's an important one.

I'm not even considering Borla right now, even though they're cheaper than Banks, their failure rate is too high for me to take a gamble on. the Quadratec returns guy says he does 10 times as many Borla replacements as Banks. silly thing is, the Borla has a higher list price (MAP pricing) than the Banks headers, but Borla actually charges dealers less for them than Banks does.

Back