• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4WD Conversion Question

Mosephus

NAXJA Forum User
I'm kind of doing this backwards, but I've got a 96 that is currently a 4x4 and I've found a 99 2wd for a bargan that I'm gonna throw my stuff on just to update to the newer body style and nicer interior. The 99 has a AW4 and so does my 96. My question is will I run into any problems mating the 4wd AW4 off my 96 and installing it onto the 4.0 on the 99? I've searched for awhile with no luck.

KEEP EVERYTHING UNTIL YOU ARE DONE!

beyond that, you should be ok if you can solder. some harnesses may need to be updated to work together. you will need the output adapter with the transfer case in order to replace the tail housing from the 2wd. use all the sensors that are already with the '99. there is also a contact switch on the transfer case which senses when its in 4wd. if you don't care about the notification light you can ignore it. otherwise you will need to tap into the lights on the side of the dash (by removing the whole thing). the front axle should just bolt right in place. lemme know if you have any more questions. i just finished up a '96 2wd to 4wd conversion.

The sensors on the 96 AW4 and 99 AW4 are different. The 96 will be missing a front input shaft speed sensor and the rear sensor changed. The 96 will not work with the 99 computer.

Back