• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana VS. Chrysler

Assuming you're referring to a rear axle...? the C8.25 or D35....?

Kinda open-ended, don't you think? I think people have managed to stick Rockwell 2-1/2-ton axles under XJs, so it would help if you were a bit more specific. Which Dana are you pitting against which ChryCo?

As I recall, we have:
Dana 28
Dana 30
Dana 35
Dana 44
Dana 50
Dana 60
Dana 70
Dana 80

And:
Chrysler 7.25"
Chrysler 7.75"
Chrysler 8.25"
Chrysler 9.25"
Chrysler 9.75"

And there may be some others I've forgotten. But, nearly all of those can be adapted to fit under an XJ...

FYI - XJs shipped with Dana 30 front (all years,) and either a Dana 44 (very early tow package,) Dana 35 (most early models, and many late models) or the ChryCo 8.25" (1991-up optional w/o ABS.)

Is the Dana 44 better than the D35? Unquestionably. Is the D44 better than the ChryCo 8.25"? That seems to be more a matter of opinion. However, more options (gears, lockers, &c.) are available for the D44 than for the ChryCo, so there is an advantage to the Dana...

5-90 said:
Is the Dana 44 better than the D35? Unquestionably. Is the D44 better than the ChryCo 8.25"? That seems to be more a matter of opinion. However, more options (gears, lockers, &c.) are available for the D44 than for the ChryCo, so there is an advantage to the Dana...

x2.

Well since this is an XJ forum in the OEM topics I thought it was quite clear what I was talking about. But for the light minded I am refering to the Dana/Spicer Model 35 compared to a Chrysler 8.25 rear end.

jeepman121 said:
Well since this is an XJ forum in the OEM topics I thought it was quite clear what I was talking about. But for the light minded I am refering to the Dana/Spicer Model 35 compared to a Chrysler 8.25 rear end.

Not "light-minded" - I've just had to move a lot of posts back and forth recently, so I wanted to make sure what question you were asking (both to answer it properly, and to see if it's in the right place.)

The 8.25" has, as I recall, rather thicker axle shafts than the D35 - which is a plus (especially with larger tyres.) However, I'm wanting to recall that it can be easier to fit rear disc brakes to the D35 - but I'm not sure about that (and I think Andrey - Slonopotam - is still working on his 8.25" rear disc conversion.) I think the D35 can be adapted to rear disc using late WJ/WK aluminum D44 rear disc parts, but don't hold me to it at the moment (haven't gotten that far along in Swappology yet...)

But, I am fairly certain that the D35 enjoys more gearing and lower options than the 8.25". Doesn't make up for the toothpick axle shafts, but it's something...

jeepman121 said:

The light minded ? You ask for info and come off with that. By the way People put all those axle under their rigs and people post in wrong forums all the time. XJs came with 35 and 44 Dana rear axles.
Light minded ?
Why would you say that of the people you are asking questions of ?

dana 35 is junk. between that and the 8.25, the 8.25 is much better and prob the easiest upgrade. now if you ask which is better 8.8 ford vs 8.25 chrysler, then ill have to definetly say the 8.8.

j99xj said:
The Dana 35 is just a light axle. I don't think its junk.

Would you rather have IRS?

Nah - I'd sooner SLA at both ends.

I don't think I said the D35 is "junk" - just that you could easily do better. I do have that pair of D44s waiting to get re-tubed, but the D35 under my 88 hasn't given me any trouble as a work truck. It's just a toothpick, compared to other axles, and its longevity under large tyres and the skinny pedal can be limited.

I would say that their both way below the D44 but at least with the 8.25, you don't have to deal with the XJ's mostly useless ABS system.

jeepman121 said:

I have OEM Dana 44 rear axles under both of my XJs. They're better than the 8.25 and the Dana 35.

I'm swapping my 29 spline 8.25 for a dana 44. IMO the better availability of aftermarket parts and loss of c-clips makes the 44 slightly better stock for stock and much better if you want to modify it.

5-90 said:
Kinda open-ended, don't you think? I think people have managed to stick Rockwell 2-1/2-ton axles under XJs, so it would help if you were a bit more specific. Which Dana are you pitting against which ChryCo?

As I recall, we have:
Dana 28
Dana 30
Dana 35
Dana 44
Dana 50
Dana 60
Dana 70
Dana 80

And:
Chrysler 7.25"
Chrysler 7.75"
Chrysler 8.25"
Chrysler 9.25"
Chrysler 9.75"

You forgot the best mopar rear diff. The 8 3/4. Isnt the 9 3/4 a dana 60?

jeepman121 said:

Wow, you can't be clear in what you're asking then get bent when someone tries to help you clear things up.

Next time try the following sequence when posting:
1) Remove head from nether region
2) Preview you post and read it to make sure it makes sense to someone not familiar with your rig

I'm not sure how many mind readers there are around here, so you're better off explaining what you have or are comparing than assuming (go look up the assume thing yourself).

There were two OEM Dana options as you've probably figured out now (44 and 35 in case you missed it).

Use the search function, most will tell you the 35 is junk. The 44 is probably the best option as far as a stock bolt in goes. The 8.25 29 spline would be the next best option then the 27 spline (IMO). But it depends on what you're planning to do.

jeepman121 said:

The Dana 44 was a stock OEM application as well, and its brought up in question at least 10 times a week around here, so please be more specific for us light minded people from now on.

Back