• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brakes "Clunking"

go4wheeling

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 cherokee with a 8.25 rear with ABS. When I use the brakes I hear a "clunking" noise come from the rear... anyone have this issue before?

Thanks

I assume you have drums in the rear? Do the brakes clunk even if you are not moving? If so, chances are you have a bad wheel cylinder(s) that is sticking or partially frozen. If you aren't comfortable taking it apart, take it to a place that performs a free or really cheap brake inspection to confirm this. I had a friend who had his XJ make horrible clunking sounds from the rear (the brakes hadn't been touched in over 10 years) and both wheel cylinders were partially frozen; although he also needed new drums and shoes, but those weren't what was making a "clunking" noise. Is your pedal feel consistent or can you feel the clunk through the pedal?

pauldo39 said:
I assume you have drums in the rear? Do the brakes clunk even if you are not moving? If so, chances are you have a bad wheel cylinder(s) that is sticking or partially frozen. If you aren't comfortable taking it apart, take it to a place that performs a free or really cheap brake inspection to confirm this. I had a friend who had his XJ make horrible clunking sounds from the rear (the brakes hadn't been touched in over 10 years) and both wheel cylinders were partially frozen; although he also needed new drums and shoes, but those weren't what was making a "clunking" noise. Is your pedal feel consistent or can you feel the clunk through the pedal?

They are drums, they do not clunk when I am not moving, and there is no clunk through the pedal. I have no problem taking it apart, I just was trying to get a idea before I pull them apart. Its not that big of a deal because the brakes still work properly but it just annoys me.

mjma said:
swap in discs, problem solved!

I have a dana 44 from an 87 cherokee that is going to go in there eventually... (when I get money for the gears and discs). So im not going to build up the 8.25. But I do agree that the discs are a better choice.

My money is still on one or both wheel cylinders partially sticking. They are really cheap and not too hard to install. That sounds an awful lot like my friend who had the same sound (although I could definitely feel a bit of a "stick" on the pedal that went with his noise). Hope you can figure it out... brake noises definitely are annoying, and can be a bit unnerving.

Check to make sure the adjusters are run out properly and the drum just drags a tiny, tiny amount when you put the drums on, then back off the adjusters one click.

John

nosigma said:
Check to make sure the adjusters are run out properly and the drum just drags a tiny, tiny amount when you put the drums on, then back off the adjusters one click.

John

You're right... I completely forgot to mention that, another reasonable possibility.

go4wheeling said:
I have a 2001 cherokee with a 8.25 rear with ABS. When I use the brakes I hear a "clunking" noise come from the rear... anyone have this issue before?

Thanks

First of all you can't have an 8.25 with abs stock. If its stock and its got abs, its a D35.

Second, check for a bad transmission mount. If not, you know the drill - new pads, adjust not to drag, completely gravity bleed the system.

I have a 2001 with ABS and it does the same thing. Slow speed clunk or knock. I had the rear end completely rebuilt, bad pinion bearings, and it still makes the noise. I want to swap out for discs, but have not found a donor ZJ yet. Has anyone done the ZJ swap with ABS?

I get the same on my '98 w/out ABS, we've even pulled the drums a couple of times just to see how things are going since it started making that noise. This reminds me, I need to get new rear shoes to replace the OE's here quick.......

Did anybody ever figure this out?

Little background of what i'm dealing with. Been running a 3" lift for a year now with a 1" TC drop and minimal vibes. Installed axle shims about 3 weeks ago to correct the minimal vibes (b/w 30 and 40mph), and got a bad "wiggle" when first accelerating. I removed the shims a couple of days ago, the wiggle went away, however now when I stop, I get a clunking sound for about the last 15-20mph of stopping. It's definitely a rotational clunking, and not just a one time clunk.

I first thought driveshaft u-joints, as I found a little bit of vertical play in the u-joint at the slip yoke end of the rear DS. Replaced the u-joint tonight, and the noise is still there. It only seems to be doing it after I've driven around for a bit, say in city stop and go traffic, and things have warmed up, and if I park it somewhere for a while and go back out, it won't do it anymore untill once again, things get warmed back up....which is leading me to think brakes now.

I'll probably be pulling the drums off in the next day or so to see what's going on in there. I just find it strange that this started immediately after I took the shims back off....maybe just dumb luck.

I clicked the above link, and it sounds exactly what i'm dealing with, but really don't want to put new shafts in if I don't have to.

Any help at all guys....starting to get frustrated with this thing. Gone a year and a half now with out a single part needing replaced, and of course it picks now when i've got two jobs and school to deal with.

99 NON ABS with the 8.25 rear.

To the op-

I have expierienced clunking after goodyear didn't torque the lug nuts out back, it was after I had them install my new tires.

Tightened it up, went away.

Well....took the drums off and couldn't find anything wrong....u-bolts are nice and tight, no play in the yoke when I disconnected the driveshaft and checked the yoke....so I guess that means the pinion bearing is good.

I'm completely stumped...

Back