• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a 200XJ engine fit in a 98?

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
A friend has a 98 xj that needs an engine, will the engine of the 200xj work in it?
Will he be able to install the distributor from the 98 in the hole of the 200 engine?
Any other issues?

wolfpackjeeper said:
does the 2000 motor have a distributor, I know the 2000 Grand motor I bought for parts was distributorless ignition...

It has a sensor instead. I got the impression that the sensor could be removed and the distributor installed in its place. I think that the only change the made was to go to the ignition rail and I suspect they left everything else the same.

yes it can be done, I have done it, just pull your distributor and swap it in, along with your coil and what not. unless you want to mess with changing a lot of wiring out. no issues i had, you should have an updated intake also, and if you can swap out a header for that factory exhaust manifold. can post pics if needed

Banks is the only one who makes a header to fit the 2000. Be careful of the 0331 head casting too...

lazarus said:
yes it can be done, I have done it, just pull your distributor and swap it in, along with your coil and what not. unless you want to mess with changing a lot of wiring out. no issues i had, you should have an updated intake also, and if you can swap out a header for that factory exhaust manifold. can post pics if needed

As long as the distributor can fit where the sensor is, the coil rail can be removed and everything should be the same.
Do I need to use a header? Won't the original exhaust fit?

JNickel101 said:
Banks is the only one who makes a header to fit the 2000. Be careful of the 0331 head casting too...

I know about the head, I'll have to take a chance.
Would I want a header?
Right below the exhaust manifold next to the flange, there is a narrowing of the exhaust pipe.
It looks like one or two dents. I was told that by restricting the flow the exhaust gases flow faster because the pulses are tuned or synchronized or something like that. I was told that changes in the flow would have a negative effect.

the distributor out of my 98 block fit right in the hole that the sensor in the 2000 was in. the only thing i was worried about was the timing, but get it close and the comp will do the rest. you dont have to use a header, i just thought it would be a no brainer while the engine was not in.

Back