• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Swap Help!

92westshady

NAXJA Forum User
So I undertsand there are positives and negatives to manual and automatic transmissions. I currently have an AW4 automatic transmission in my 2000 Cherokee and I have always felt that my Jeep would be perfect if it had a manual transmission.

So if I want to make this swap what parts do I need to buy/modify to make this happen. I know a lot of people go the other way from manual to Automatic and I have read that it is more complicated because of the computer module and what not. I would assume I would need the following parts, can someone tell me what else I would need or if you have any resources for this info point me in the right direction.

- Transmission AX-15
- Bellhousing
- Shorten/Lengthen Driveshafts?
- Cltuch and Brake Pedals
- Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders
- New Flywheel
- New Clutch
- Shift boot and interior trim or center console

If anyone has experience with this swap or any automatic to manual transmission swap I appreciate any knowledge or assistance you guys can offer.
Thanks, Steve

I helped Kejtar do this swap a few years ago. Pretty straightforward.

You'll also need a pilot bearing. Make sure you get the E-14 socket for those top two bolts.

its a female torx. I use a racheting torx wrenck that I heated up to bend the handle so I could reach it from the engine compartment.

I believe it's actually an E-12 but correct me if I'm wrong. I believe in 2000/2001 XJs they offered the NV3550 also, that'd be a good option to look into.

Back