• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 on 5.5 for xj44?

You can get a D44 from an '87 XJ. Some with the tow package had a D44 in them. That's how I got my D44 rear. And you can do a disc brake conversion on it also. Chris

I have the 87 xj44. I have coming the rockkrawler 8" w/rear coilover. Unless I can copy the rubi 44 by using a dodge 44 (need uca mount), and pressing d30 tubes in, do ford 44 (can get 75 housing for $100) 5 on 5.5, match the rear 44 lug pattern and get a new set of rims, or I can sugar coat the pos stock d30 and hope it don't break. Have a set of eagle usa rims like the 186. They were on best friends yj when he died few years ago. Have been running up to this point. Would like to not have to get new rims.

If you're replacing the front axle with a Ford, You might as well go with a Ford 9" in the back. Then the front will match the back. Isn't that D44 wider then what you have now?

I am running a full width HP44 in the front and an XJ D44 in the rear. The front has 5x5.5's. In order to more closely match width and convert both axles to use the same rims, I went with a pair of spacer/adapters from Spidertrax. They make the rear about 2" wider and I have had no problems and I wheel fairly agressively.

Or you could get a set of 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5.5 wheel adapters for the rear. Trail Gear has some of these adaptors

Most axle shaft manufacturers dual drill the xj44 rear shafts for 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5

if you think you need a D44 up front, you probably need alloys in back - call Alloy USA and get some dual drilled axle shafts, then take your drums to a local machine shop...

I run 5x5.5 on my rear XJ44. I am also running a HP44 up front that I shortened to a waggy width. I am running 33 splines shafts in the rear but shouldn't matter if you buy aftermarket chromoly shafts they should have a dual drill pattern for 4x5.5 and 5x5.5. You will need to drill your drums or rotors for the 5x5.5. Depending on your skill level you can do this by yourself or get a machine shop to drill them for you. I drilled the 5x5.5 pattern myself and have had no problems. If you have any questions you can PM me and I will help you out.

Cruzin Illusion said:
I run 5x5.5 on my rear XJ44. I am also running a HP44 up front that I shortened to a waggy width. I am running 33 splines shafts in the rear but shouldn't matter if you buy aftermarket chromoly shafts they should have a dual drill pattern for 4x5.5 and 5x5.5. You will need to drill your drums or rotors for the 5x5.5. Depending on your skill level you can do this by yourself or get a machine shop to drill them for you. I drilled the 5x5.5 pattern myself and have had no problems. If you have any questions you can PM me and I will help you out.

Perfect.

Back