• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lincoln Locker

93_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I know some people dont like Lincoln Lockers, but im not asking for pros vs cons.

I am dead set on welding my rearend. 8.25 27 spline. I have 3 spare rearends so if it breaks or sucks , ill just swap it out.

I searched and alot of the threads on lincoln lockers are old and the pictures are no longer hosted.

Im looking for the correct or best way to weld up my rear end.

I did it to same axle. Works great for about a year on 33. Find high tinsil strength rod. I used (iirc) 150k lb rod. Its hard, but weld hard steal spiders to cast carrier, as far around as you can reach. Then weld the axle shaft spiders the same way. Then where spider gears mesh, get a molding clump started till you fill all in. The pin that holds the spiders in on mine was the weak point. Carrier broke in half there. Go for it, cheaper than a spool. To make or replace. Eventualy you will want to switch to a d35 pos or 44 with select or auto locker. Or do something with the rock anchor along bottom of 8.25.

mikeNtucson said:
I did it to same axle. Works great for about a year on 33. Find high tinsil strength rod. I used (iirc) 150k lb rod. Its hard, but weld hard steal spiders to cast carrier, as far around as you can reach. Then weld the axle shaft spiders the same way. Then where spider gears mesh, get a molding clump started till you fill all in. The pin that holds the spiders in on mine was the weak point. Carrier broke in half there. Go for it, cheaper than a spool. To make or replace. Eventualy you will want to switch to a d35 pos or 44 with select or auto locker. Or do something with the rock anchor along bottom of 8.25.

i will never want to switch to a d35.

i already plan on putting a 44 in there, with of course a regular spool.

Just put a good thick bead where the spider teeth touch each other. Two rods max.

First and foremost get all the parts as clean as possible. You will want good penetration and no porosity. Lay down more smaller beads and switch back and forth to opposing sides of the gears. I don't recommend trying to weld the spiders to the carrier but I guess alot of people do. Take breaks frequently to let things cool. This should give you the best life from your newly welded rear.

An old mechanic told me to put a bolt where the gears mesh and weld it up. When a friend did his, we welded it, then put bolts in there and welded it again. Might be overkill and it's the only one I've been involved with but it's still going.

seymouj said:
An old mechanic told me to put a bolt where the gears mesh and weld it up. When a friend did his, we welded it, then put bolts in there and welded it again. Might be overkill and it's the only one I've been involved with but it's still going.
Good idea and try to knock off as much slag as you can and don't leave any drips of weld that can break off and get into your gears. Basically keep the welding clean and change the lube after a breakin period because the little bits of slag and metal you miss will be floating around inside the pumkin.

buggy62.JPG

spiders.JPG

i think that it would be best to weld several strong, but minimal beads along the spider gears [where the mesh]. this way, if anything breaks, it will be the weld, or the spider gears, not the ring and pinion [which would suck if you are in the middle of a trail and need to limp it out]

does it matter if its a 5 speed or auto?

im driving a 5 speed, and i think since its a 5 speed you have more control over vehicle speed and control and would make it easier.

If you are driving in 3 gear at like 35 mph 1500 rpms or so and you punch it, its not gonna break traction and put you sideways.

Punch it in an auto around a corner and it will probably down shift and break traction.

It was raining today and I took it out and gave it gas around a corner and my back end came around but it was under control and I was just getting a feel for a locked rear end.

1996cc said:
Here is mine: (used a 220v wire feed for less slag than stick) Pic was taken before I cleaned up the welds.

DSC04095.jpg

that is very nice. I had mine welded by a good welder that i trust. (he welds for a living on airforce fighter jets. i think i can trust him) but decided to only weld the spiders to each other and not the carrier. he said "in theory", you'd have a better chance of cracking the welds and noticing it before it blew apart the carrier and in turn have a better chance of fixing it before you ruin your gears.

so far i've been daily driving and wheeling the crap out of it on 33's for almost a year.

Back