• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield interchangeabilty and instalation (big words!)

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
What year windshields are interchangeable? I have a 99 XJ and need a replacemtn and plan a trip down to the yard later. Something easy to replace on your own?

If its a chip or star, I'd just buy a cheap repair kit at target - do it right and the chip is damn near invisible. If its a long crack, just get a pro to do it. $180 for a convenient mobile service, possibly with warranty.

Any XJ you see with a rubber moulding around the entire perimeter will work for you. That is the newer windshield ( DW1140 GBN ) The older windshield ( DW952 GBN )has the same curve and shape / size, but the mirror brackets are different. However, something to think about from a 12 year auto glass tech., IF the junkyard gets it out in one piece (they most likely won't let you pull it out), the windshield will probably be pitted, with at least a few chips. Then you have to buy a new moulding ($30-$40). Then you have to pay someone to put it in. Windshield installation, IMO, should NOT be performed by anyone other than an EXPERIENCED installer. There are specialized tools, primers, adhesives, and techniques that most shadetree mech. just should not attempt. Save yourself the headache, and buy a new one ( get OEM Safeguard glass, not some Chinese junk) and have it installed by a professional. It is very important that all pinchweld scratches are covered by black pinchweld primer, so that your XJ is not a rust bucket in 2 years. Any questions, gimme a shout. I have seen too much shoddy work in my time that disgusts me. A proper installation is crucial to retention during airbag depolyment, along with roof crush loads during rollover. Jer

Back