• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Brakes

aaronh

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to install a ford 8.8 but people have told me that you can not do it due to the ABS brakes on my 90 Wagonner. Is it possible and how can you disconnect the ABS i have tried fuses but the fuses are linked to other part of the jeep. I have tried the search but no results

on that year if u disable the ABS u will have no brakes!

It's can be done. Look in Modified Tech, Search for "BENDIX ABS". I've posted on some threads regarding doing the swap to a D44 and eliminating the ABS, plenty of others have too. Going to an 8.8 shouldn't be too different.

The 90/91 ABS system was first generation. It does not include a redundant conventional system - Loosing ABS boost means ALL boost is lost. Mine routinely went into ABS mode for no reason (despite $$$ in parts and repairs), the diagnostic computer throws false codes, parts are expensive and hard to find. A number of lawsuits claimed complete loss of brakes. In theory you can pull a fuse and prevent it from going into ABS mode BUT it will still rely on other components (and fuses) for boost.

To do it RIGHT, you will need to switch out all the ABS junk under the hood to a conventional braking system. A 95/96 XJ booster assembly makes a good choice.

It was simple I disconnected the rear abs lines from the box under the rear seat before I removed the D35. Drove it for 2 weeks not a problem not a light nothing did not remove a fuse, or a relay nothing. So last weedend I put the 8.8 under it still going good just got back from Hot Springs Superlift ORV park did not miss a beat.

Back