• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing front u-joints have q's

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I have to replace the front u-joints on my XJ, they are to the point where they make loud noises and are moveable by hand. So are these the ones w/indside clips or outers? Also will I have to put new axle seals on? The only truck I've ever done ujoints on was an F550 w/a D80ish front. Also how hard is it to do the ball joints and will this throw and alignment off?

Thanks

Inside clips,Seals will be OK if you are carefull.Clean the axle tube to avoid contamination(dirt,junk) when re-installing the axle shaft.
Ball joints are not a real hard job if you have the tools,an alignment would be a good idea,but I believe the Tow in/out is all that would change.
Wayne

what i do before i have to pull the shafts is stick a hose in the axle tube to sorta backflush all the mud and crud out of the tubes. i changed the inner seals a while ago, so i'm not too worried about getting water in the diff.

Back