• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35 to 8.25 swap

trailblaze

NAXJA Forum User
other than new u-bolts, pulling the abs fuses and relays....what problems will i run into?

i hear that the d35 d/s is longer than the 8.25 XJ's d/s, however i am sitting around 3.5 in lift...will this compensate?

anyone who has done this on a "new" xj want to give me some tips and or advise

also, i might have a d44 off a xj for sale!!

thanks..

why would you sell the 44.. use it instead of the 8.25

well i was planning on that....but

my 44 needs all brake stuff... hard/ soft lines, backing plates, drums etc.
new pinion gear (maybe), and some kinda locker (the spider gears are chewed up), and new seals/ bearings

i figure it's going to cost me a grand.... the wife needs medical testing that our asshat insurance company won't cover... there went my 800 saved for the axle...

my d 35 is leaking fluid at the wheels and where the axle tubes are pressed in the housing.... i can't see spending $$ to fix a turdy5.... so i found a 8.25 complete with all brake stuff thats still good...

therefor i am going that route..... wife comes first, jeep second ( all you single guys...... stay single)

The 35's driveshaft is longer because the 35 is shorter than an 8.25.
I believe your driveshaft will be too long with just 3 1/2" lift on the 8.25.

will the 8.25 shaft be too short? i also have a 1" tc drop...

what are the people with 8.25's doing when they lift it 3.5 in....

Last edited:
You're probably going to need a shorter driveshaft. You should be able to get one fairly cheap at the junkyard. If your shaft binds at the transfer case you'll be replacing a whole lot more than the diff.

If you have access to the 8.25 driveshaft, snag it. One of them will fit...

what's the pinion length difference between a 35 and a 8.25?
It can't be so long that it won't work.
Hell, I used my stock driveshaft when I went to an 8.8, I'm lifted 4 inches.

use it, then cycle the suspension carefully and check the slip yoke to be sure it's not bottoming out in the T-Case.

While you're at it, ditch the t-case drop.

I really doubt that the shaft is going to bottom out on the road, it should get you by until you can get the proper shaft, have your's retubed, or go SYE and a cardan style shaft.

yeah i can get the 8.25 shaft... free too...

so i will use it and the 8.25 axle...

i doubt the t/case is mounted in a different position on 8.25 xj's vs. d35 xj's

one shaft will work!

I did a d35 to 8.25 swap a few years ago. I could physically fit the driveshaft in, but if a big truck drove by too fast the air disturbance would make my driveshaft bottom out in the transfercase.

The driveshaft off an 8.25 jeep fit perfect.

I think the 8.25 is just about an inch longer than the d35.

8.25 is longer??

oh well... the general concensus seems that i'll have no problem swapping if i use the 8.25 axle with the 8.25 d/s, pull fuses/ relays for abs, and disconnect the brake line at the distribution block (don't want to break the brake line at the uni-rail...it's a bit rusty)

Back