• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wahoo! A/C!

kd5dwy

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to drop a "thank you" to all who post their experience and suggestions to the NAXJA forum. I was able to find enough information in past posts to resurrect my A/C (which is almost a necessity in Arkansas). NAXJA saves the day (and my wallet) again!

out of curiosity.

what was the problem(s)?

what was the sollution(s)?

part numbers if possible

can you tell im going through some A/C woes? haha

My a/c sucks ass! I'm ripping it out,take care of my lack of on board air.

I'm sure what I did is technically not perfect, but it worked for me:

1. purchased a R143 conversion kit that included freon, gauges, R12 to R134 fill adapters, instructions, etc...

2. Removed the covers from the R12 caps

3. Installed the R134 converters

Note: when looking at the compressor on my '87 from the front of the Jeep, the low pressure side is on the right.

4. Attached the gauges to the low-pressure side of the compressor (I had to trim it a bit to get it to fit.

5. Disconnected the low-pressure bypass switch and ran a jumper from one side of the plug to the other.

6. Took the cap off the low-pressure side valve (should have a rod sticking out with a squared-off end.

7. Opened the valve of the low-pressure side of the compressor by turning the square rod clockwise (it is reverse-threaded)

8. Turned on the engine and set the A/C to normal

9. The compressor and clutch should be spinning - you will be able to see the front of the clutch spinning if everything is OK. If not, you need to troubleshoot an electrical or clutch problem.

10. Added 45 lbs of freon making sure to watch and listen for problems.

Note: If you need to swap cans of freon, make sure to close the low-pressure valve on the compressor (by turning counter-clockwise since it's reverse-threaded) before disconnecting your filling system)

11. Checked the cabin and voila! Cold air.

12. Removed my low-pressure cutoff bypass and checked to make sure the switch was still working (once connected , the aux fan should kick in)

13. Closed all valves, installed all caps, buttoned everything back up, checked for misc. tools and parts left in the engine bay, and claimed success.

14. Drove around town with the A/C on full blast to "check it out"

15. Came home cold and happy.

Time will tell if there is a leak anywhere, but at least none of the major components were faulty (that may change).

Total cost was around $40 and it took about an hour once I had my headgear on straight.

BTW, this forum has helped me so much, I had to join. I know I've saved way more than $35 in mistakes, delays and frustration.

Last edited:
i saw my local walmart selling some r12 to r134 adaptors yesterday. small 4"x6" cardboard card with a blister in the middle. two style lowside fittings, two style high side fittings.

9bucks and some change.

i would have picked it up if i wasnt short 2 bucks.

I'm not sure what the kit had as far as oil, but I drove it down the Interstate yesterday and the air was so cold, it actually hurt my hand to leave it in front of the vent!

Looking at the box that the kit came in, it is about a foot tall and eight inches deep and wide. It is manufactured by id or interdynamics and is called EZ Chill Auto Air Conditioning Recharge & Retrofit Kit. The model number is #RKR-8. I saw it at Wal-Mart yesterday for $33.

It uses R134a, but doesn't say on the box or bottles what type of oil, only that it is "R12 lubricant and residue compatible".

Hope this helps.

good stuff man, someone told me that my jeep had a bad leak somewhere in the system, I charged it and changed the serpentine belt, haven't had a drop in vent temp yet

Cool, so no changing out the evaporator? Just swap plugs, charge and go?

Think I'm gonna hit Wally World tomorrow!

It worked for me. Your mileage may vary. There is some risk in running R-134 in a R-12 system.

If you're up to it, swap the receiver/dryer and the evaporator (this should be about $100). I wasn't in the mood to try to get the thing pulled back down after breaking the seal on the system, but it may be worth it to you.

kd5dwy said:
It worked for me. Your mileage may vary. There is some risk in running R-134 in a R-12 system.

If you're up to it, swap the receiver/dryer and the evaporator (this should be about $100). I wasn't in the mood to try to get the thing pulled back down after breaking the seal on the system, but it may be worth it to you.

Just got back from our vacation and the A/C worked like a charm following what you did above.

Like you, I didn't feel like tearing the dash apart and getting the vacuum re-established. I just got the R12 out at an A/C shop (no charge for what was left) and then followed your instructions with the Wally World kit ($33+tax). Sitting in 90* L.A. traffic wasn't as bad as it could have been :D

kd5dwy said:
I saw onw for sale somewhere on the site... Might want to start a new thread for this.

It'll get moved to the WTB forum that never gets looked at... Just thought i'd ask when i saw that somone was removing their AC

Back