• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this trackbar going to be OK? *pic*

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
the angle is a little funky, it angles up, then down so... I just want to make sure it's not going to snap... again

track1.jpg

track2.jpg

I've never seen a trackbar with that angle. Is that how you bought it new? I think that is bent too much near the frame. Looks like an accident waiting to happen.

I have seen this before on a Jeep with no lift. The curve is because of the axel housing. Without the curve the TB would hit the diff cover during some flex. I am working on a Jeep right now with this. At first I thought it was bent then I looked at it and realized why.

It looks like if you flex the passenger tire up, it will hit the oil pan.

LOOKS LIKE WHAT HAPPENED TO ME ... THOUGH THE TRACK BAR WAS FOR A 3 INCH ENDED UP BEING FOR LIKE 5 ... ITS TO BIG... @ LEAST THATS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE TO ME

old_man said:
It looks like if you flex the passenger tire up, it will hit the oil pan.

No, just the pic angle.

the bar is a BDS and supposed to be for up to 6.5" of lift and I'm at 5. I just don't want to snap that tie rod end, again.
It's real close to the rod from the pitman arm, I can't think of hte name of it right now, heh.

Last edited:
Comparing the new one in the pic, and the actual one installed on your XJ, it appears that yours is already bent past the point it was when new.

I wouldn't trust that trackbar with my life or that of my families.

Trash it and get a new one.

I don't think it's bent, it's always fit like that. But if you guys don't feel it's safe I'll get a new one, I do need to drive the rig to work though, I'll kep it under 60mph anyway.

better than wasting your life or somebody elses. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Why don't you show those pics to the folks at BDS and ask them if their trackbar looks safe? :)

Winks00XJ said:
It appears to be missing a jam nut on the frame side.

I didn't even catch that. That just adds to the safety factor, or lack thereof.

Winks00XJ said:
It appears to be missing a jam nut on the frame side.
LoL

well uh, erm... when the tie rod end broke it buggered the threads on the jam nut so I left it out. I figured, the rod end can't twist so didn't see the point of the jam nut. Did I see wrong? lol.

The scariest part, since the tie rod end is tapered it won't fit through the mount far enough to cotter pin the nut in place. THAT makes me nervous. it's torqued to probably 60 ft lbs.

Last edited:
waxer said:
better than wasting your life or somebody elses. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Why don't you show those pics to the folks at BDS and ask them if their trackbar looks safe? :)

:clap:

email and pic sent.

philip_g said:
LoL

well uh, erm... when the tie rod end broke it buggered the threads on the jam nut so I left it out. I figured, the rod end can't twist so didn't see the point of the jam nut. Did I see wrong? lol.

The scariest part, since the tie rod end is tapered it won't fit through the mount far enough to cotter pin the nut in place. THAT makes me nervous. it's torqued to probably 60 ft lbs.

Seriously man, get jam nut (yes you need it) & get correct the problem so a cotter pin or some kind of loc nut will fit. If not for your safety, the safety of other.
Also, you definately dont have enough lift for that style of track bar, its to long. It doesnt look safe to me!

Back