• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterproof Alternators?

Is there such a thing? I keep getting mine wet and it either dies or kills the battery. I want to be able to ford deep streams, and this ain't cuttin' it.

I have a stocke rebuilt alternator in an 89 and yesterday after splashing through the water on a GRAVEL (note: no mud) creekbed, I ended up with a non charging system a few hours later. Suppose maybe I got some sand in there, but this all just seems too sensitive.

No, I did not have the splash shild or rock guard in place.

Any tips for waterproofing the area? If I need to replace the alternator, tips on a more waterproof one?

Search for tips on building a splash shield, as well as someone used relocation brackets to move the alt. to the top of the engine. Only 2 alternatives Ive heard of, I just buy a lifetime warranty alt. and replace as necessary :cheers:

I imagine if you don't have A/C, you can move the alternator to where the A/C is supposed to be? Havn't tried it myself, but I Think I might if mine ever breaks. (Since I don't have A/C).

mattbred said:
I imagine if you don't have A/C, you can move the alternator to where the A/C is supposed to be? Havn't tried it myself, but I Think I might if mine ever breaks. (Since I don't have A/C).
Got the A/C, want to keep it.

surely the snorkle guys have dealt with this issue. what happens if you submerge the alternator?

Maybe I just got a flakry rebuild, cause it seems that every time I hose off under the vehivle I have problems with charging.

Hey, that's an interesting thought mattbred! Now you've got me all curious. If only I had more skills and/or money, I could try it out myself. As it is though, I'll just have to keep reading this post...

Nevada City Sparky said:
So, from what I'm reading, water alone shouldn't kill a alternator. Maybe I just need to start it up and see if the dirt or water came out or dried out overnight.

No, it shouldn't. I've flushed out dozens over the last 20 years or so - usually, after going through something really dusty. Use nothing but clean water, and make sure the battery has a good charge before you start (since you're going to need it for the first few minutes after you light it back off.)

I give the same advice to mudders - flush the case out with CLEAN CLEAR water ONLY, and spin-dry. The typical problem is crud and grit getting between the brushes and the comm rings, and causing Hell. Once it's flushed out, they're usually good.

Even on marine alternators - the only real "mod" for them is to add a "spark arrestor screen" to the backside of the case so they don't start fires in the engine bay (mandated by CG regs, as I recall. Ask Boatwrench - I'm not entirely sure.) Water doesn't seem to bother them either - as long as they're not submerged for a long time.

Hmmmmm.... sumthin' else is going on then. In fact, I ran for about 3 hrs. after hitting any water before I had a problem.

Now I have a dead battery and on the way home last night it started stumbling and I was at 9V charge.

In the early '80 I workked in the marine industry. OMC and Mercruiser inboards have Delco Remy alternators. If the alternators are submerged for several hours connected to a good battery, elctrolisys corode/eat away the terminals. Other than that, a soaking in fresh water to remove the salt and maybe replace the bearings and they are good to go. I have not had problems with the alternator on the XJ when wet just the bothersome no power steering and no charge until the belt dries.

Back